or Connect

Posts by well-kept

It depends on what you mean by 'overseas'. Wright offered a line of English-made shoes, which did not have the arch-preserver construction. They were made by Sanders, not bad and not great. I've never owned any except the American production although I have seen shoes on line bearing the Wright name which look to have been made in Italy or in Asia. It's a safe bet that these don't hold up to the originals. I could offer a guess that as with other American manufacturers,...
The early, union-made Arch Preservers are excellent shoes. As is so often true, the older the shoe, the higher the quality. They are not easy to date with precision, but if you can find a pair with a sewn-in cloth label you will have made a score. They are generally on a par with vintage Florsheims from the same period.
Cover the stain with baking soda or talcum powder and let it sit for a day or so. Much of the oil should be absorbed.
I just acquired a pair with the Arthur Barker logo on the sockliner. Certainly made to a higher level of quality than any Barkers I have seen. Channeled soles and beveled waists. On visual inspection they seem on a par with EG. Have yet to wear them. Oddly there are no interior markings at all indicating size, production number, etc.
Thank you for the superb reply. Mine are marked X765. They are marked England rather than Great Britain on the sole and sock liner and the width is expressed by a letter rather than the model names used to designate width from '70 or so onward. The quality of the shell is consistent with older shells from American makers, the clarity and depth of color. Current production seems an altogether different thing. A few years ago I wrote to Nick Horween to ask whether the...
I just picked up a pair of shell PTBs clearly stamped "Brooks Brothers Made in England" on the sole, and bearing the Brooks English sock liner. What strikes me is that among the interior markings is "M58", apparently the exact last on which Alden now makes, as they have for some years, the identical shoe. (The difference between Alden's Barrie-lasted ptb and the BB on the M58 is clear at fifty feet.) And, apart from minor distinctions such as number of stitches per inch,...
DWF ... Placement of the quotation marks.
A question for DWF, or anyone else who may know... does a shoe with a pegged waist indicate that the remainder of the welt/sole attachment is hand-done?
Hmm, that's interesting. My 'Favorite Sellers Top Picks" Hogspear link shows ZERO items for sale, the exact same link that has always brought up pages of listings. It's shown zero items for several weeks. Just checked it again. This is what I got - cut and pasted for accuracy: Your search returned 0 items. This Store currently has 0 listings. You can come back later or check other Stores. Not only that but as I checked in several times, several weeks ago, his listings...
Captain Hogspear, one of the more eccentric eBay sellers from England, seems to have vanished, nothing listed for many weeks. He always had some one-off and unpredictable vintage items. Does anyone know whether his absence is a vacation or something more permanent?