or Connect

Posts by well-kept

A question for DWF, or anyone else who may know... does a shoe with a pegged waist indicate that the remainder of the welt/sole attachment is hand-done?
Hmm, that's interesting. My 'Favorite Sellers Top Picks" Hogspear link shows ZERO items for sale, the exact same link that has always brought up pages of listings. It's shown zero items for several weeks. Just checked it again. This is what I got - cut and pasted for accuracy: Your search returned 0 items. This Store currently has 0 listings. You can come back later or check other Stores. Not only that but as I checked in several times, several weeks ago, his listings...
Captain Hogspear, one of the more eccentric eBay sellers from England, seems to have vanished, nothing listed for many weeks. He always had some one-off and unpredictable vintage items. Does anyone know whether his absence is a vacation or something more permanent?
It's how they were made. Nothing to worry about.
They'll lighten with exposure to direct sun. Each piece of shell has its own personailty and will age a bit differently than any other. No need to use any colored polish or cream, in my experience. Just brush and buff. And enjoy.
My apologies. Are you referring to something akin to those models that are blue-green at the toe, passing through pale cream to a red orange at the heel counter, or any variation on that theme? Some of them do look beautiful. No clue as to whether the effect is permanent. My guess is that the leather will want to return to its original state and over time will struggle to do so.
Whether they'll last a long time, and what they may look like after a few years are two different questions. The longevity is determined by the quality of construction. 'Real' patina will be the result of wear, care, environment and time. No matter how they start out they will change and continue changing. My vote is for an untampered-with surface that you can make your own. It will, in the end, look better and you will have the satisfaction of knowing it is a reflection...
I've entrusted my shoes to Nick exclusively for the past two or three years. I'm happy with the work, and I can be particular, on everything from mid-level to one-of-a-kind. If there has ever been a question or an issue, it's addressed and considered. As he says, he's approachable, which is a rare thing. As to shell cordovan, I prefer to shine them myself and voila, they come back with nothing on the surface! Can't count the times other repair facilities have smothered...
^ My only question... why did (or why do) you keep on wearing something which causes you pain?
Yes, they were made by EG. The all-leather heel with close-set nails dates them quite early. By the mid-70s they were already using a leather heel with rubber top lift. And while accepted wisdom has said that Brooks Brothers began offering ready-made Peals in 1965 when the bespoke Peal operation ceased, I have seen a newspaper advertisement for Brooks Brothers offering Peal shoes, ready-made. It is dated 1936. I don't think these are that old, but I'd place them in the 60s.