or Connect

Posts by Dragon

Yes, a lot of people say look for the egg, but I wonder if that is a good barometer because the egg is usually served towards the end . Also, some say try the anago, because it takes more preparation and is more difficult to shape into beautiful sushi. I used to order anago first so that I can see the skill of the chef, but since anago is one of the most heavy sushi, it's not really a good plan. Now, I just try the gari (the ginger sides), because better places take the...
Every time someone wants to talk about real sush in a sushi thread, they are eventually called a snob, but I don't think that is fair. It is like starting a burger thread in Japan, and when someone suggests discussing real burgers instead of yucky rice burgers and teriyaki burgers, he is called a snob.
There's almost too much to see in Kyoto, but for sights I recommend to at least check out the following: Nijo Castle: get an idea of how the Shogun lived in Kyoto. Although he didn't use the place much, it is rare to be able to see a castle/residence still intact, as most of them around Japan were bombed or burned down for some reason. Katsura Imperial Villa: Modern architects received a lot of influence from this house. Kiyomizu Temple: looks to me like this is...
As a chef you probably get the chance to see more drones than I have. You just don't get the opportunity to see them much as a customer.
The original discussion was about Japanese knife skills, and I would be surprised if you didn't encounter knife skills as good or better than what you saw with Morimoto when you visited Japan.Actually, you don't get it. Not many are offended by his "style." They just don't think he is that great skill-wise. There is a whole genre of Japanese food similar to Morimoto's style. It is called "Sosaku Washoku" in Japanese. There are millions of restaurants that do sosaku, so I...
All the insults are very funny, but it just makes it more obvious that you probably don't know enough to make a decent reply.
I wonder why you posted a monkfish video as an example. Does he do it better than the other Japanese chefs that do it?
I think that summarizes my point. We are impressed by different things when it comes to Japanese cooking, or appreciate certain skills in a different way. It has nothing to with knowing how to cook though.I disagree with your decision
OK, never mind then. Good luck on the chopsticks
c'mon, forget about the wife. You're the one who started acting like the expert, so go ahead and explain. You don't have to try to save me from embarrasement.