or Connect

Posts by Dragon

The reason most Korean and Chinese restaurants are not any better than home cooking is because the restaurant cooking is made by amateurs. In general, the restaurant quality in L.A. is quite low, so I imagine you don't have to serve professional quality food to get business. I doubt 99% of the Korean, Chinese, and Japanese restaurants in L.A. would survive in a place like Japan where the restaurant quality is relatively high.
Okonomiyaki is more of a western Japan dish and it's difficult to find a good a place in Tokyo. I didn't like it until I tried a few good places in western Japan. Here are some pics off the net of one my favorite places in Kyoto. It's modern style Okonomiyaki which means the ingredients are sandwiched by a crepe, unlike the traditional style which everything is mixed first then cooked like a pancake. It's really hard to find because it's in a back alley of cramped...
I would just skip Kobe and stay a little longer in Kyoto. If you want to eat beef, Kyoto is a little known mecca for Japanese beef because it is surrounded by a lot of the top producing regions (Kobe, Oumi, Matsuzaka, etc.). Also, if you want to visit the sake breweries, Fushimi is a suburb of Kyoto which can be reached within 15~20 minutes. For shopping, just save your time until you reach Tokyo.
One part I like about Japan/Tokyo is that you can easily source top quality ingredients. You don't have to look hard to find excellent quality veggies, fish, or meat. The downside is now a lot of it probably contains low doses of radiation
Looks interesting, like a western version of the Chinese mapo tofu.If you like plain tofu, I recommend trying this brand Otokomae Tofu. It's not the best in Japan, but for what's available in the U.S., it's pretty good. I've seen it sold in one of the Japanese stores (like Nijiya or Marukai) but can't remember which one for sure. (I would not recommend this type for the mabo dish though).I would be surprised if they used hon dashi in pho, but who knows what's in there I...
It's "fuki" (フキ - Petasites japonicus). Typically you make the fuki suck up the dashi/broth flavors.
Yes there is quite a variety in Japanese architecture, but I think Katsura is famous in the west because of the modernist architects that visited and were inspired to create their early designs. Also, designs from Louis Vuitton are said to be inspired from the sliding doors in the tea house opposite of the main villa, and so on. I guess what makes Katsura so amazing is that although it is over 400 years old, it has so much influence on the modern architecture and designs...
I think you guys are right. I was probably getting mixed up with overseas fish and farmed. I remember walking by a famous place in Japan that specializes in making the miso-zuke using all overseas fish. Not just for the cod, but for their whole showcase.
Those type of dishes are pretty easy to make though. Just buy miso-zuke or if you like sake flavor, get kasu-zuke and grill up the fish. I bet a place like Nobu just uses farmed anyway (as even most Japanese shops only sell farmed), but if you look you can get a much better piece of fish than what somewhere like Nobu uses (of course I don't know in the States). Also, the grilling technique at somewhere like Nobu is not going to be anything special (same quality as doing it...
^^ "Godzilla Rolls"