or Connect

Posts by Dragon

My thoughts on aluminum vs poly are the same as Rirawin's. Aside from looks, there is really no advantage to owning the aluminum for check-in. Actually the polys are more functional because they are lighter, which means you can pack a bit more without going over the weight limit (this is not important if you travel with medium case...we travel with 2 of the largest size). Also as Rirawin pointed out the polys have a bit of flex (almost like a nylon case) so you can cram...
I could never understand people that keep their shoes on in the house and even on the bed, but walk bare feet outside.
Very strange arrangement. Sit on the sofa in the tatami room, then sit on the floor in the Western room.
Looking up is supposed to put a strain on your eyes and neck. Monitors, screens are much easier to view if you look slightly down.
Almost all American houses these days have a TV hanging right above the fire place or high level, which makes viewing very uncomfortable.
Nylon is probably the most durable, but it weighs too much. If your check-in isn't large, there is no worry, but if you check-in large suitcases for long trips, the weight savings makes a big difference. I don't think I will change to aluminum for check in luggage. It's too much of an eye magnet for TSA theft and I can just imagine the baggage handlers throwing it around and trying to put huge dents in them on purpose. The downside to Poly is that they are so common now,...
In Singapore that minivan probably costs more than a Mercedes S class back in the USA. Camrys are like S Class and S Class is like Rolls Royce pricing.
I travel with the Polys (large check ins and several types of carry ons) and think there are advantages to the plastic over hard aluminum. First, the plastic version weighs less, so when you are checking in your luggage, you don't have to worry about the weight. Second, the dents are not permanent like the hard aluminum. Maybe I should say the plastic is much harder to dent than the aluminum (hard vs soft surface). I have been traveling with the plastic for years and still...
My butcher in Japan told me not to confuse marbling grade with actual quality. Most people go for the higher number grade, but it just means more marbling, which can equal gross when you eat it as a steak. I asked him about this because he sells what I consider the best beef for steak in the world, but I noticed it's usually labeled with a lower grade (but not lower quality). IMO the higher grade stuff is good for Japanese cooking, like sukiyaki and shabu shabu. Also,...
Sometime JP beef is harder to cut when you bring up to room temperature, because it can start melting. I notice in the BBQ and Teppan restaurants some of them actually keep it partially frozen, then slice/cook, so I don't know if it would be a good idea to blast it with a hair dryer. I notice when I cook beef every once in a while, the beef starts melting even from my hand temperature. This doesn't happen with U.S. or other beef.