or Connect

Posts by Dragon

Sometime JP beef is harder to cut when you bring up to room temperature, because it can start melting. I notice in the BBQ and Teppan restaurants some of them actually keep it partially frozen, then slice/cook, so I don't know if it would be a good idea to blast it with a hair dryer. I notice when I cook beef every once in a while, the beef starts melting even from my hand temperature. This doesn't happen with U.S. or other beef.
The food quality is definitely on a different level in Japan. I think the ground is more fertile in the States, so average vegetables are better, but for everything else (meat, pork, chicken, dairy, etc.) Japanese food is in a different league. I wonder if your intestine distress is due to water though. Japanese water (spring and tap) is extremely high quality, so it could play a part. Water is considered the secret ingredient to good Japanese food
same car, just different tires. For stopping grip, it doesn't matter if you have AWD or not.
The technique actually looks pretty good, but the ingredients don't look so fresh. I think part of the reason is because you had to sit in the dining room, so by the time the sushi arrives it might have been 10~15 minutes since the chef started the preparation.I recently tried a michelin starred sushi place in Los Angeles, and they served the whole omakase set on a single plate although we sat at the counter. I wonder what the judges were thinking in giving them a star.
The nigiri looks less appetizing than the geso.
The reason most Korean and Chinese restaurants are not any better than home cooking is because the restaurant cooking is made by amateurs. In general, the restaurant quality in L.A. is quite low, so I imagine you don't have to serve professional quality food to get business. I doubt 99% of the Korean, Chinese, and Japanese restaurants in L.A. would survive in a place like Japan where the restaurant quality is relatively high.
Okonomiyaki is more of a western Japan dish and it's difficult to find a good a place in Tokyo. I didn't like it until I tried a few good places in western Japan. Here are some pics off the net of one my favorite places in Kyoto. It's modern style Okonomiyaki which means the ingredients are sandwiched by a crepe, unlike the traditional style which everything is mixed first then cooked like a pancake. It's really hard to find because it's in a back alley of cramped...
I would just skip Kobe and stay a little longer in Kyoto. If you want to eat beef, Kyoto is a little known mecca for Japanese beef because it is surrounded by a lot of the top producing regions (Kobe, Oumi, Matsuzaka, etc.). Also, if you want to visit the sake breweries, Fushimi is a suburb of Kyoto which can be reached within 15~20 minutes. For shopping, just save your time until you reach Tokyo.
One part I like about Japan/Tokyo is that you can easily source top quality ingredients. You don't have to look hard to find excellent quality veggies, fish, or meat. The downside is now a lot of it probably contains low doses of radiation
Looks interesting, like a western version of the Chinese mapo tofu.If you like plain tofu, I recommend trying this brand Otokomae Tofu. It's not the best in Japan, but for what's available in the U.S., it's pretty good. I've seen it sold in one of the Japanese stores (like Nijiya or Marukai) but can't remember which one for sure. (I would not recommend this type for the mabo dish though).I would be surprised if they used hon dashi in pho, but who knows what's in there I...