or Connect

Posts by Dragon

^^ lol, that's true. I was wondering about this recently since it seems Renault are seriously thinking about quitting F1, which would leave RB without an engine. Doesn't seem RB can bring in Audi, so I was wondering what they are planning in case Renault actually quits.On top of all this engine stuff, it seems like Michelin will be returning so we may have several seasons where the tire determines the winners and losers.
I think there may be too much focus on the tires when the main problem is the aero. If the cars could get closer like the Mansell era, the drivers/teams would not have the luxury of "saving" tires or cruising around because there would be more of a threat from cars behind. Currently the aero acts like a buffer/defense cushion so the cars behind can't pass unless there is a significant power difference. If there was no aero buffer, the teams would have no choice but drive...
I am not really a fan of tire wars. Remember Bridgestone + Michelin era? If you were on the wrong tire the best you could do was mid field, just like for example Red Bull today with their inferior engine. I think after a couple of years the tires were closer, but still the race was dominated by which tire suited which track, and not so much the car or driver. You can still have great racing with just one tire manufacturer.
The decision was Mercedes & Lewis, but I think Lewis was under the impression that the team was pretty sure Ferrari was going to pit and were also going to order Rosberg to pit as well. So if everyone was going to pit, Lewis probably thought the team was making a smart decision because he would not have been at risk staying out alone with old tires while the challengers bunched up right behind him having new softs. If he knew no one was planning on pitting, and the team...
I am sure that is true, but the point is...strategy-wise, why bring him in the pits in the first place, especially if there was such a small window? They thought they had about +3.5 seconds more time, but still the merit was so small that the risk of bringing him in with only +3.5 seconds buffer didn't make sense. What if the strategy guys were right about the timing window, but when they brought him in the pits the pit stop wasn't perfect? They could of easily had a...
Isn't it strange that it seems all the big teams seem to have very poor strategy? I am sure they have guys on nice salaries doing JUST strategy, but it seems the big teams throughout the years always make poor decisions. In my opinion, safety cars and sudden rain are the situations where strategy is tested because you don't really have time to plan ahead. Also in Monaco it may be a case of younger guys just looking at the race on the computer without looking at the actual...
In a way you probably have a point. Maybe an architect is like a tailor. Most tailors are very knowledgeable about the technical side of clothing, but usually are not well dressers themselves. They don't really have an advanced sense of style. On the other hand stylists may be like interior designers. Look at Hollywood...would you like to be seen in anything they wear? That is the result of hiring a stylist to dress yourself. Maybe Foo's approach is actually the best....
+1 Thanks for posting this. I read that this morning and was going to post as well. It's interesting to see that Ferrari finished just 4th in the championship but gets payed the most money. Mercedes was champion but 2 other teams received more money. Williams finished ahead of Mclaren in the championship, but Mclaren received more money. So the chart you posted does clearly show that F1 money distribution is rigged. Of course the top teams can develop more and pay for...
It's because the Japanese artists back then never actually saw a real tiger, so they drew based on imagination.
They could eliminate a bit of downforce, or at least seriously tweak the rules so that downforce is eliminated in the right places so the cars can follow. At the same they could boost power significantly and you should have more exciting cars again.Another problem they created was making the tracks too safe. I'm not complaining about protecting drivers and I don't want to see drivers get hurt, but part of F1/motorsports thrill was seeing cars go over the limit and go off...