or Connect

Posts by Andrewc2232

I bought my 649's from Otticanet. http://www.otticanet.com/persol.cfm It was the cheapest price I found at the time, including eBay. I was a little wary of the site's reliability, but online reviews were decent so I gave it a shot. The Persols were at my door (from Italy to US) in around 4 days, inspected carefully to be authentic and NIB. I did get hit with a $25 customs tax a few weeks later from FedEx, but apparently this doesn't always happen. As for the shades...
The radiator/cooling system issues were enough to break the deal for me. I just didn't think I could afford to keep one running. And coming from a previous Mercedes I'm prepared to replace a few window regulators here and there. Still an absolutely phenomenal vehicle though. One of my favorite sedans of any era period. The interior is classic as well.
When I was shopping for cars last year, I really wanted to get a 2003 540 sport. Beautiful cars, fantastic performance, practical, etc etc etc. I eventually decided against it due to reading in reviews/ratings and in nearly every forum I checked that the 540 could wreck you due to maintenance issues. The impression I got was that the car was not exactly dependable, even by German standards. Take that for what it's worth--I've never owned one. My sister on the other hand...
And even if you captured it, now pass it on through another battery of amplification and through another set of speakers? Would have as much to do with how a system actually sounds as any other random sound clip. It would be nice, but if it were that easy the idea of auditioning equipment would change dramatically. Why go listen to some new speakers when I can download a sample?
The amps you look at are a function of the speakers you'll be using. More efficient speakers need less power and vice versa. If solid-state, I usually look for 70+ watts, strong reputation, heavy build, quality materials, and dual-mono design if possible. It might be helpful to refresh yourself on THD (total harmonic distortion) and IMD (intermodular distortion). It's often hard to really judge an amp based on specs, but a quick comparison of distortion %'s at rated...
Now that, to me, is a beautiful table.
Just don't try and run Magnepans with a surround sound receiver. I've always avoided electrostats because of high power requirements and difficult DIY maintenance. Buying new would at least alleviate the latter issue. Integrated amps are convenient if you can find one with a good phono stage. On the other hand, separates tend to offer better performance and much more flexibility for the future. I used a nice integrated forever before I switched to separates. If you're an...
It's pretty uncommon to see an M coupe in my part of the country, but there's actually an older Z3 M coupe in town as well as a newer E85 M coupe I see periodically. Both cars are done in silver--not my favorite color for them, but still very smart looking machines. Actually had a friendly jaunt on the highway with the E85 M late last year. He pulled about half a car length on me, but after that neither of us could pull ahead up to a hair over a hundred, at which point I...
+1I also own both--the 649's are definitely larger. I also prefer to geometry of the 649's to the 714's, and rarely wear the 714's.
The CLK500s are generally well reviewed. I test drove an '04 CLK500 and an '03 CLK55 before picking up my '01 CLK55. The W209's (03 and later) are solid cars, but are a good bit heavier than the previous generation W208s. You can tell the difference in the handling--a little ponderous compared to the previous generation IMO. I also think the W208 coupes are gorgeous, but find the W209s a bit bland. Interior feels a little cheaper as well--you definitely know you're in a...