or Connect

Posts by blackbowtie

Quote: Originally Posted by mafoofan I kind of wished I had ordered mine with vents, but they would have looked supremely wrong with the shawl lapels. Sitting down in a ventless jacket is a pain. Why not order side vents and have them closed up later if you don't like the look? You can go one way, but not the other. I always thought that with an SB dinner jacket you could just unbutton the jacket when sitting down? Hence in this case, the...
Year round!
I'm assuming that once you've shelled out $4000 on a bespoke suit, you'd want to stay in shape so as not to outgrow the suit. Thomas Mahon mentioned that most of clients would pull in their stomach when he's measuring their waist, because a lot of people, consciously or otherwise, are conscious of the importance of "waist suppression." He would always tell them "to relax" so that he can get an accurate waist measurement. Shamelessly though I confess that I'm glad that...
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 Small balls Very harsh.
Quote: Originally Posted by 83glt I saw a guy today on the street wearing a blue pinstripe business suit with patch pockets. It was unexpected to say the least. Anyone see this before? Is this acceptable? I thought it looked odd. Whatever next? I can imagine it some people looking good in it though. I used to be against patch pockets completely until I saw a number of patch pockets on WAYWRN. If done well it can look a bit rakish, IMHO. Though...
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria Do not ask what James Bond would do, ask what blackbowtie would do. - B But what if I want to be James Bond? Doesn't every guy want to be James Bond? Quote: Originally Posted by knittieguy If you are going to follow the WWJBD approach, then notched lapels are okay too. Purists are always saying that it is a mortal sin to wear a notched lapel tuxedo, and then I see photos...
I went to see Edwin DeBoise of Steed today to commission a dinner jacket. I pretty much had a firm idea to go for a traditional one - SB, peak lapel, midnight blue barathea, grosgrain facings, no vents - when Edwin threw a spanner (or a wrench, depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on) and asked if I would like vents. He also helpfully added that his dinner jacket has vents, to ensure better drape when he puts his hands in his pockets. I have to be honest that...
Quote: Originally Posted by ChicagoRon I don't think it's good for your pants to dry clean so frequently... so many chemicals. I wear suits to the office and I only have my suits dry cleaned 2-3 times a year. I thought any more frequent than that would shorten the life of the suit.
Need you even ask? French cuffs, of course! I would say that 90% of my shirts have French cuffs. Quoting one of the posters, I like to flatter myself as one of those guys who wear French cuff shirts effortlessly....
Quote: Originally Posted by appolyon To those that have bought polos, how spot on are there in terms of the sizing? Reason why I ask is I want some for a holiday but judging by the timelines people are reporting, I won't have time to do a test run... is ordering 5 or 6 a dangerous proposition? Better be safe than sorry. Personally, I would still do a test run. There will be other holidays.