or Connect

Posts by blackbowtie

I think it would work for you. Showing a lot of collar above the suit collar is a very handsome look.
Quote: Originally Posted by texas_jack DC is probably the most formal American city. If it is, then it's really sad for America. I've lived in DC for a number of years and am not impressed with the standards of dressing. I would actually argue that NYC is a more formal city because: 1) more people wear suits to work in NYC. You'd be surprised with the kind of dressing people get away with at work in DC, even in some government offices....
Quote: Originally Posted by theyare thanks... and also, aren't there some type of studs that can be used in regular button down shirts (i.e. withough the double hole placket?) I'm not sure I know what you are referring to. I thought studs need be inserted through two holes, otherwise how would you put them on?
The BBs. Thanks to sober advice from Forumites.
Quote: Originally Posted by theyare Are there such things as shirt button covers. Essentially the same as a mandarin collar button cover but i guess somewhat smaller for the remainder of the shirt. I have a tuxedo shirt with regular buttons and am trying to figure out how to use studs / button covers. Thanks! There definitely are button covers. I got some silver ones from e-bay, also to cover regular buttons on a tuxedo shirt. Apart from ebay,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum Having some people in morning dress and some people in evening dress sounds terrible... +1. It also sounds like there is some substantial sartorial micro-managing happening at this wedding. My personal preference is to keep everything straightforward and streamlined. It will look better overall, not to mention entail fewer headaches.
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiaogou 2" pant cuffs. Does "xiaogou"= "puppy" in Chinese?
I thought, you are only expected to wear black tie when the invitation specifically says "black tie?" On the question of whether or not to get a dinner jacket/tuxedo, I have found that the causality can work the other way too. Ever since I got my first dinner jacket, I have found that I have been attending many more black tie events than before. But then, I also live in DC, where you can theoretically attend a black tie event every week if you are so inclined.
Double-bladed ties seen on The Sartorialist.
never seen one, but i'm thinking that it might actually be very practical for metro/subway/tube riders.