or Connect

Posts by blackbowtie

Wear them. Your friend is wrong. Also, the limp-collar look is overrated.
Quote: Originally Posted by PandArts A part of me likes it and another part says it's too cutesy with the little bunny crossbones. +1. The bunnies spoil it for me. I personally would not get it.
I thought that would depend on the fabric you choose? I personally have not had problems ironing pure cotton shirts of differing qualities as long as the shirt is damp when I iron it. Your poor wife. You should either learn to iron, or take your laundered shirts to the dry cleaner's to be pressed.
Quote: Originally Posted by snow_leopard I've been eyeing these shoes at the BB store for months: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lor=Dark-brown Tempted to get them. They look sturdy yet comfortable. Does anyone have any thoughts about them? I've been eyeing them too. And the price is lower today than it was yesterday! I might drop by brooks again today to try these on.
Quote: Originally Posted by jimmyoneill LSE and UCL aside, the rest are dross. Good answer. I went to UCL
I personally don't understand the objection to some degree of pointiness (though maybe a few more years roaming the SF I will accrue enough wisdom to understand). Besides, these shoes are not THAT pointy, especially compared to many very pointy shoes i've seen which remind me of the wicked witch of the west in the wizard of oz. I would say go for it. I think they are very nice shoes.
Quote: Originally Posted by jimmyoneill I blame Ralph Lauren for leafing through old collegiate colours books and randomly using crests. I saw a jumper in Ralph Lauren the other week with a University of London crest on it...Somehow I don't think a university largely made up of ex polytechnics conforms to Ralph's ideas of England. Was the LSE ever a poly? It's part of the university of London.
As long as the stripes are reversed (i.e. slanted the other way) I don't see a problem. But I personally would avoid an exact copy of any regimental/club/school ties because it can be awkward. Having said that, I went to an English-style boarding school and I once bumped into a guy who was wearing my school tie but upon enquiry was not an alumnus. He said he inherited it from his father who was an alumnus, and he wore the tie because he liked the pattern. It wasn't awkward...
Quote: Originally Posted by letmebefell FTFY. Don't sweat this. Ah, the wonders of American consumer culture. Didn't even know I could do that. I learn new things every day in this country.
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 Absolutely. They're different cloths. Birdseye=round pattern, nailhead=non-round/square pattern, pick & pick (sharskin in the US)=looks like little zig zag from up close. Thanks. The other pics of pick-and-pick on the net that I've found don't look like that at all. That's quite evidently different than bird's eye.