or Connect

Posts by blackbowtie

Quote: Originally Posted by ginlimetonic i think common sense & practicality overrules satorical (sic) looks. This statement doesn't compute. Besides, the former two do not necessarily preclude the latter.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ahab Most others you can get away with a lot. Maybe even jeans. I would not recommend that but you will be surprised what people will wear. If you dress too sharply they may think you are a contractor. But under a 14 at most agencies you should be more than fine with slacks and tie. A suit for the first day would be nice and see how it plays. +1. It bears repeating that the sartorial standards in DC are...
Quote: Originally Posted by freeAgent Personally, I think wearing underwear under pants defeats the purpose of pants. Since pants absorbs moisture equivalent to 20% its weight without getting wet, you are supposed to sweat into your pants, I think. Unless of course, if you feel self-conscious about your junk showing through the crotch, in which case, underwear may be justified. Sorry, I couldn't help it. (for all those confused, see...
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria I think that the pendulum will shortly swing to wearing a t-shirt over a...what is that phrase again?..oh, yes, collared shirt. - B The pendulum has already swung. Saw someone doing this just this Friday night.
Quote: Originally Posted by ManofKent I get the impression that they're probably slightly more common in the UK (at least in the country/provinces) whilst in the states bow-ties often fill the same position. I would actually contest this statement. I think bowties are more formal than ascots. While I could definitely get away with wearing a bowtie to work - albeit perhaps attracting some comments and attention - I don't think the same applies...
Quote: Originally Posted by NakedYoga For those of you that have the buttons monogrammed, do you also have the monogram on the cuff buttons? Yes.
As long as the colours don't clash.
Quote: Originally Posted by bengal-stripe King Edward II decreed in 1324 that a shoe size equals the length of one barleycorn and three barleycorns laid lengthwise equal one inch. To this day, the difference in length between a whole shoe-size is one-third-of-an inch (8.5 mm) (Half a size is one-sixth). Fascinating! Edward II was the one who spent so much time obsessing over his male lovers that he ended up messing things up completely,...
I wear undershirts 90% of time. My approach is: If wearing a shirt with a tie (i.e. with the collar buttoned) - crew neck undershirt. A v-neck would result in the "V" being visible underneath the shirt (especially if the shirt is white) and the effect is not very nice. If wearing a shirt sans tie (i.e. with the collar unbuttoned) - v-neck shirt. Undershirt not visible, so none of the sloppy effect that the OP disapproves of. Personally, I think wearing an...
I never liked J. Press - my impression has been that the clothes seem to be made for oversized, shapeless males. I also can't stand the obsession with single-vented jackets. But I agree that their contrasting-edge linen pocket squares are really nice.