or Connect

Posts by blackbowtie

Quote: Originally Posted by mimile Bespoke shoes at the age of 10 (Blake), bespoke trousers at the same age, suits at the age 18 and shirts: never. Bespoke shoes at the age of 10? What are you: Prince of Wales?
Quote: Originally Posted by Wicky Quote: Originally Posted by Nicola Legally here in Italy you can be fined. The buyer is liable for buying fakes just like the seller. Yet, upon exiting the train station is Napoli or around the Vatican in Rome you are litterally drowning in people that are offerring fake designer items. Seems tolerated by the law. Haha. First of all it's Italy. And second it's Naples. "Tolerated...
Quote: Originally Posted by instep Uh, pick stitching isn't done for 'style'. It has a technical reason for its existence. That's what I thought. Or at least that's what my MTM tailor tells me. I didn't know you could have them done on finished jackets like some sort of a decoration.
Quote: Originally Posted by bowtielover These days, never. In the UK? If that's true, than it's really sad. It is a bit ironic that bowties are still acceptable here in the US, especially since a lot of people often think that sartorial standards and ideals are higher and "purer" in the UK than in the US.
Quote: Originally Posted by medwards There are other challenges as well: the costs, time, and physical demands of transAtlantic travel; the challenges of security, customs and transporting large amounts of fabric and unfinished garments between countries and cities; the problems of scheduling fittings and the time that can elapse before a garment is finished and final payment made; the fluctuation in currency rates; and the possibility of more financial...
Quote: Originally Posted by b99flick I haven't lurked around long enough to know what kind of response this will get, but I have found double cuffs to be quite easy to roll up. I've done this a few times now after work before going to a happy hour when I wanted to get the cuffs out of the way of beer/wet bars and not risk loss or damage to the links. +1. I am a consummate french cuffs and cufflinks wearer - 90% of my shirts have french cuffs...
To point out the obvious, I think there are two things that trigger people's decision to go bespoke: the appreciation of the superiority of bespoke; and the ability to afford bespoke. While I've been wearing MTM suits since I was 17, I only became aware of the difference between MTM and bespoke around 2-3 years ago, while I was in my late 20s and was looking for a good tailor for suits here in DC. It was only this year, when I figured that I could actually afford...
Quote: Originally Posted by superfans124 so to be on the safe side, I'm gonna wait out a bit more until I see some respectable celebrities with them in public. I don't think this is a winning strategy. Vita brevis est. Life is short. Wear one today and the world be damned.
Quote: Originally Posted by knittieguy IAll pocket squares seem to be sized so that if you fold them the way that the diagrams show you to (for a TV fold), they will be slightly too big. . Phew. And all this while I thought I wasn't doing it right or something....
Quote: Originally Posted by sho'nuff uh..cotton/wool etc do naturally absorb moisture , but that doesnt mean you are supposed to sweat into your pants. your still supposed to keep clean and hygenic. it's like saying 'cars have the ability to absorb impact to a certain degree, so you are supposed to get it dinged up and dented' lame first post I think he was trying to be ironic.