or Connect

Posts by blackbowtie

Quote: Originally Posted by ManofKent I get the impression that they're probably slightly more common in the UK (at least in the country/provinces) whilst in the states bow-ties often fill the same position. I would actually contest this statement. I think bowties are more formal than ascots. While I could definitely get away with wearing a bowtie to work - albeit perhaps attracting some comments and attention - I don't think the same applies...
Quote: Originally Posted by NakedYoga For those of you that have the buttons monogrammed, do you also have the monogram on the cuff buttons? Yes.
As long as the colours don't clash.
Quote: Originally Posted by bengal-stripe King Edward II decreed in 1324 that a shoe size equals the length of one barleycorn and three barleycorns laid lengthwise equal one inch. To this day, the difference in length between a whole shoe-size is one-third-of-an inch (8.5 mm) (Half a size is one-sixth). Fascinating! Edward II was the one who spent so much time obsessing over his male lovers that he ended up messing things up completely,...
I wear undershirts 90% of time. My approach is: If wearing a shirt with a tie (i.e. with the collar buttoned) - crew neck undershirt. A v-neck would result in the "V" being visible underneath the shirt (especially if the shirt is white) and the effect is not very nice. If wearing a shirt sans tie (i.e. with the collar unbuttoned) - v-neck shirt. Undershirt not visible, so none of the sloppy effect that the OP disapproves of. Personally, I think wearing an...
I never liked J. Press - my impression has been that the clothes seem to be made for oversized, shapeless males. I also can't stand the obsession with single-vented jackets. But I agree that their contrasting-edge linen pocket squares are really nice.
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackl3232 Overcoats are usually tagged for the size of suit they fit over...so if you wear a 40 jacket, get a 40 overcoat. Doesn't this depend on the cut or make of the coat, though? My suit size is 38 and I've had instances where, while trying on overcoats, a size 40 overcoat fit better, even when I'm going for a very fitted look. For instance, I got a size 38 Prada overcoat as a Christmas gift and it was...
Quote: Originally Posted by A Canuker All mine air dry. +1. Shirts - especially the ones you love - should only be hung dry. In this context, the dryer is evil.
Quote: Originally Posted by MidnightBlue it's more of an ordinary day. Thanks for replies. I guess a bowtie would have been overdoing it then....
Quote: Originally Posted by r... ... is this like frequently? Yes. I guess it shows that I've been living in DC for too long, I have lost the power of straight-talking.