or Connect

Posts by blackbowtie

There's always that of course. Though that brings with it the need to learn the waltz and an enthusiastic dance partner. At least one enthusiastic enough to brave the Viennese winter in a ball gown!As a matter of full disclosure, in addition to what I said earlier in the thread, I personally would not wear white tie to an event unless it's specified in the dress code. But I live in a city where there are at least a couple of bona fide white tie events, and have had the...
I may regret saying this as I'm also a 38s but based on my experience the information on the BB's website doesn't always tally with what is actually in stock. I was looking at the rust coloured Harris tweed sport coat. According to the website there's none in 38s but when I walked into a BB shop they saw that that size is available in the system, and proceeded to order it for me. So it's worthwhile calling or visiting one of their shops.
The older I get the more my attitude towards clothing etiquette shifts towards the "live and let live" end of the spectrum. If Needfortweed wants to experience the joy of wearing white tie and the only occasion for him where that would not be completely inappropriate and out of place is NYE, then by all means he should do it (pace marcodalondra). If for no other reason than life is short, carpe diem etc. The only reservation I have is that white tie done right is an...
Wouldn't this Harris Tweed jacket from BB be described as "earth-tone"? http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Madison-Fit-Harris-Tweed-Herringbone-Sport-Coat/MM00268,default,pd.html?dwvar_MM00268_Color=KHKN&contentpos=7&cgid=
Having spent a week in Campania and Sicily this past August and eaten a mountain of mozzarella di bufalĂ , I can vouch for this statement.I never got my act together on the sartorial side though as I assumed most businesses would be closed. Am very envious and appreciative of koolbear's experience and am taking notes.
All this talk of the lining of tweed jackets reminded me of a question I've always had. What is the rationale of an unlined tweed jacket? I assume that one would only wear tweed when it's cold. So what is the point of an unlined tweed jacket, which presumably would undercut its ability to keep the wearer warm?
Also I am curious about Vintage Gent's three-piece suit: how did it turn out? How often have you worn the full ensemble? Did it turn out to be a good idea?
One thing that this (old) thread has not addressed is the practicality of wearing a three-piece suit in the summer, even if it's made of linen. I understand that there are a lot of precedents for this (and it is a nice look), but I wonder if those are due to the fact that summers in England are usually not that hot. In Washington, walking around in a suit (even a linen one) at the height of summer requires a certain level of fortitude and endurance; I can't quite imagine...
This.
Thanks for the clarification.The summer closure may be unfortunate for me, but quite fortunate for my wallet. I'll be leaving Rome on Sep. 1.