or Connect

Posts by blackbowtie

I don't have a good answer to your question, but having the gap between the bottom of the vest and the top of the trousers showing (as in the picture) has always looked wrong and unfinished to me. I think three piece suits look better when the trousers are high waisted and the vest seamlessly joins the trousers. But I don't know if different "rules" could apply to odd vests.
It definitely sounds like a nice idea, and probably linked to the same idea of having evening shirts made of voile. Any inkling why there has been a shift away from linen towards cotton?
The FiH/Windsor polemics is to the StyleForum what the Big-Endian/Little-Endian controversy was to Lilliput.
Galoshes are your friends.
I think that's probably the best thing to do under the circumstances. A meet up in January will give people a lot more time to plan accordingly.
Great choice of location! I think I can make it work. I will not be wearing a speedo, black or otherwise.
I'm intrigued by this dinner jacket-mania of yours. What's so special about this fourth (and the second and the third) one that you felt compelled to buy it? Looking forward to the pics.
I think the Jedi would take the greatest exception to anyone characterizing their robes as "smart casual."
I try to refrain from engaging too much in collective hand-wringing over the declining adherence to the gold standard of formalwear (God knows there's enough of that on the forum). But having had the opportunity of attending a few white tie-invited and white tie-optional events in the U.S., I could probably contribute to the discussion. One caveat though, I didn't grow up wearing white tie - I don't even come from a culture where such things are worn - and thus it is from...
Interesting idea and quite clever I think. The morning suit's trousers are high waisted but this is in no way a problem, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. A parallel to this would be using the trousers of a white tie rig for black tie - something I've done successfully to optimize packing (no one even noticed the double stripes, and the dinner jacket was made of almost the same material as to be indistinguishable in the evening.) But I look forward to the experts' take...