or Connect

Posts by blackbowtie

I've seen it done here in DC, for instance at Kentucky Derby parties when it's particularly too hot. Like everything, fit is everything. Some people pull it off very well with a well fitting linen shirt, linen jacket and linen dress shorts. Having nice legs doesn't hurt either
8 miles. 5 more miles and I will be ready for the half-marathon!
You've probably heard already of Field, a bespoke tailor often mentioned in connection with DC. He charges around $3k or upwards for a suit, so it's possible that a dinner jacket would fall not too far from your budget.
I'm intrigued by this, and would be curious to hear more about how you go about hosting a private party where the dress code is black tie. What happens during these parties? What's the premise? How many people are involved? Where does it take place?
Where did this black tie event take place? Jeans and t-shirts? Really? Did you perhaps misread the dress code on the invitation?
Great resources here. Never heard of Darcy clothing before but glad to find out about it here.
The fabric looks amazing, and the price is very good value. But 545 g/m - that's like 19 oz, right? That is heavy. Is this fabric meant to be a winter fabric only (worn with a light overcoat), and perhaps for fall wear (without an overcoat)? Sounds like it's too heavy for wearing indoors. Any thoughts on this?
In the foolish days of my youth, I had a black suit tailor made, and at one point, I even wore it to the office. Those days are gone, but I have surprisingly found a lot of use for the black suit. More often than not, I have worn it to evening receptions where I personally would think the dress code should be "black tie", but where the invitation says "cocktail attire." It's black, so it evokes the formality of a tux, but it's not a tux. I usually wear it with a crisp...
I roll them up as best as I can and store them in a drawer. It's definitely the neater option. I used to leave them dangling on the trousers, but have come to appreciate the ritual of putting them on the trousers when I get dressed.
Yes, the ones I've been to in DC have usually been white tie optional, and even where the invite only says "White Tie" an overwhelming majority turns up in black tie (me included). I've been debating getting a set of white tie attire for the longest time, but have not had the courage to take the plunge. Maybe if i keep going to these balls, I should get one after all.Also, as someone who enjoys Viennese waltz, the ultimate dream would be to go to Vienna during the ball...