or Connect

Posts by blackbowtie

Thanks for this. As I mentioned, I've sent one detachable collar to Parkway, but they didn't do a very good job with it despite claiming to have a lot of experience in dealing with stiff detachable collars. I've written to the French Hand Laundry to seek confirmation that they actually are able to launder detachable collars properly. I have not heard about Allo Laverie in NYC, but will find out out more.Worse comes to worst, I may have to mail my detachable collars to the...
I might, in general, agree with this statement, but given that people in DC are more likely to own black tie rather than white tie - and I'm really understating matters here - the sensible thing to do was to stipulate a black tie dress code. And I don't see why we need to sacrifice the waltzing only because people aren't in white tie.
Depending on what you mean by "dead". In the DC area, there are at least 5-6 events that I know of - and I'm not even plugged into the DC social scene - where the dress code is white tie optional. I've been to two of these events where the majority of the men actually turned up in white tie. And these are not even superformal events, by which, I mean state dinners and such. Brooks Brothers continue to sell tails and white tie and formal white vest, which i take to mean...
[[SPOILER]]It needs to be the Viennese waltz. Practitioners of the slow waltz will be ruthlessly ridiculed.
Great, and many thanks! I was afraid that it might come to that as i was hoping to avoid the whole mailing thing. I saw one such dry cleaner based in the UK - the Barker Group - but I thought getting my laundry done across the Atlantic may be a bit excessive.
Haha. If you are willing to subject yourself to four weeks of waltz classes leading up to the party - along with other tortures - you can come to the next one. If there is one.
I live in the DC area. Does anyone know what's the best way for me to get these detachable collars cleaned and properly starched? I tried Parkway Dry Cleaners but they didn't do a very good job the one time I sent them a detachable collar.
Another note for posterity - I hosted a black tie optional private event over the weekend in DC for a large group of friends and acquaintances, half expecting only a tiny minority would turn up in black tie. Boy, was I wrong. Of the 60+ people who attended - most of them in their late 20s and early 30s - an overwhelming majority of the men turned up in correct black tie attire (I would like to think that me sharing the link to the black tie guide months ahead of the party...
I'm a few months late - missed this post - but as I'm about to commission a white tie outfit I came to the Forvm to do some research and this thread is really encouraging. Well done.
34.89 miles! How do you people do it?Ran 6 miles yesterday in 58 minutes. I know it's very slow, but it's my best time yet. Running a half marathon next week and will be taking it easy for the next few days.