or Connect

Posts by aqhong

Quote: Originally Posted by Jokerman Yea I really want to get one but I read on Oki-Ni that I would have to pay custom fee's and I am afraid that I'm going to be raped by the fee's. Oki-Ni ships DHL. I've ordered from them a few times, and never had to pay any fees up front. (I'm in the US, fwiw.) Only once did I get a bill, like two months later, but I just ignored it and never heard from them again.
Quote: Originally Posted by holymadness I also hope to dissuade others from dropping money on overpriced, underpowered goods. LOL. Nobler words were never spoken. Good stuff, gonna call it a day now
I just have a hard time imagining anything constructive coming out of an argument over whether Company X's products are overpriced or not on some internet forum. If you think it's part of your duty as a "vocal customer" and that you're effecting change, knock yourself out, I guess.
Quote: Originally Posted by holymadness Why not? If you think Apple's products are too expensive, don't buy them. It's that simple. Really, what's the point of arguing over this? Vote with your wallet and all that jazz.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim Prohibitively expensive meaning what? 128GB NAND memory would cost Apple around $240. That would make the cost to build a 3G 128GB iPad $468.15. Currently, the 64GB iPad 3G is selling for $829. That is still $360.85 over the cost of building a $128GB iPad. Okay, "prohibitively expensive" probably doesn't apply to 128GB at the moment, but it's still ahead of the "sweet spot" in the current pricing curve. Per...
The fact remains that an iPod classic and an iPad are two completely different products; the former is designed expressly for music storage and playback, while the latter is a general computing device that necessitates the durability and performance of solid-state memory. I mean, what are the alternatives here? - An iPad with a slow 160GB hard drive? - An iPad with a prohibitively expensive 128GB+ SSD? If you honestly think either of those products would be more...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim There are two separate thoughts in his post, which I have conveniently sorted into two colors for your re-examination. Pio's writing is atrocious, granted. But it's pretty simple. You'll have to excuse me then, I didn't interpret that sentence as you did. At least we agree that it was poorly phrased. Quote: Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim Do you think it makes sense for your brand new...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim But that is how Apple presents the pricing. The only functional difference between the models is the storage space/3G. I think you COMPLETELY MISUNDERSTOOD Pio's point about the iPod HDD. Which is not surprising. Well, he was originally comparing two completely difference devices, an iPod classic and an iPad: Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Wtf is with Apple and memory? If you can...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim Let me get this straight, you are CRITICIZING someone else for an opinion that they had that the iPad markup is pretty high. No, I was pointing out that comparing the hard drive-based iPod classic to the flash memory-based iPad is like comparing apples and oranges, and furthermore, given that flash memory cost doesn't scale linearly and only makes up a fraction of the total cost of an iPod/iPad, it would...
Well, there's not really anything more to be said, then. Ultimately, it's Apple's decision to price their products however they want; if the markup is unreasonable, then let it be reflected by their performance in the marketplace. I do find it amusing, though, that we're having this discussion on a forum about designer clothing, which is routinely marked up 500%+ above cost.