or Connect

Posts by maufic

Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Instead of using anecdotal evidence, of which I have about 90 metric tonnes btw that is on contrary to yours, why not use the handy dandy OHIP wait time website for evidence? http://www.health.gov.on.ca/transfor...public_mn.html Click "Wait Time in Your Area" and follow through for prostate cancer surgery. Provincial average? Eighty nine days. That doesn't include the time it takes to achieve diagnosis and have...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire It is the two choices you listed, that creates the irony. A lecturer I had back in grad school, a former NHS official, several years in the field for WHO in Africa, and MD, used to say this about the NHS: "Everyone in the UK pays for their healthcare. Some pay with time, others pay with money." Canada, my home country, sadly only has 1/2 of that equation. Everyone has to wait. I have heard this a lot...
Quote: Originally Posted by feynmix I don't think its the case anymore. Obviously, you need the basic math (calc, linear algebra) and some physics, but I dont think a BS in engineering is required. Take the GREs, apply to a bunch of programs, write a killer essay on why you are making the switch and how you can cut in the program, and I think you have a fairly good chance of getting in. I don't think this is the case at any reputable...
Quote: Originally Posted by BDC2823 What he said was in poor taste and shouldn't have been said but this should be a non issue. There are so many more pressing matters at hand that this story shouldn't even be given the time of day. I could care less about a careless statement when the U.S. (and the rest of world) is in a recession/depression with far more important matters which need more serious attention. Then shouldn't the real story be...
Quote: Originally Posted by GQgeek I don't think you know what you're talking about because control would be over satellite link. Have you ever seen a HPB and a LPB go head to head in quake? It's no contest. I don't think anyone here knows what they're talking about since the fufture of warfare will be out of our hands: The wars of the future will not be fought on the battlefield or at sea. They will be fought in space, or possibly on top...
Quote: Originally Posted by EL72 In general, though for humanities grads where there is no real private sector equivalent, academia is often the top choice. This is precisely the problem. No offense to you but this is exactly why, in most fields, academia attracts the underachievers, leeches, and those not willing to take the risks required to become a successful entrepreneur. Academia is a great gig if you want the government to subsidize your...
I agree with Fuuma. Anything other than workout/track pants would look odd.
Quote: Originally Posted by EL72 That said, who wants to be an academic anyways? Aside from some relatively small benefits, it sucks. And I'm not referring just to compensation. If you're smart enough to be a successful academic, then unless you have some weird personality disorder, you can surely have a much more interesting and fulfilling career outside of academia. The biggest reason to become an academic is tenure. Once you get tenure...
Quote: Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack Too bad there are no historic examples of Cheney using a crisis to radically advance his own agenda. Pot, meet Kettle. This seems to be a common defense among Obama supporters. If anyone criticizes Obama, his supporters say something like "well Bush was much worse when he ...". If it was wrong when Bush/Cheney did it, why is it not wrong when Obama does it.
http://www.wesellshoes.com