or Connect

Posts by hollowsleather

The way the instep strap starts down at the welt seems very odd, did you request that?
I'm not sure this point holds weight, as grandpa didn't, and wouldn't, spend nearly this much money. It's not unreasonable to expect the boots to look like the product photos at that price point.BUT, as far as I can tell, Oak Street hasn't refused to accept a return on Szad's boots. The difference between what was promised (in photos at Context) and what was delivered should absolutely entitle a return or exchange if he wants it, in my opinion.
Regardless of whether or not the condition of the boots is acceptable from a technical standpoint, they look considerably different than the photos used on the Context website. It would perhaps be more honest if Szad's pair was used for the product shots on the Context purchase page.
People generally use care products on boots WAY too often. Like 10x more often than necessary. Under normal conditions, chromexcel can go years with just a damp rag and regular brushing. A well-worn pair of boots is a marathon, not a sprint.
The wrinkles that you're talking about are loose grain. Typically you find that on the belly section of a hide, and good makers will avoid using it. A lot of the "seconds" and "blemish" discounted boots you see will have portions of loose grain. Every side has a belly section, so it's not a chromexcel thing, it's just a hide selection thing. Good chromexcel from the better parts of a side doesn't do that. There are a lot of makers using entire sides of second quality...
*unless they have an exclusivity contract with a Japanese dealer for rat ass boots. Certain makeups are definitely off limits for this reason.
I think that a double midsole is going to look weird in that build, mostly in contrast with the close trim. I think double midsole no celastic could work, but double midsole close trim sounds weirdly contradictory.
This trend of chromexcel rough out is silly. When you reverse chromexcel you hide its best qualities and amplify its drawbacks.
Zero regrets on that. Considering a classic brown SD with no celastic as well in the future.
Brian, I'd do one thin coat of Obenauf's and a lot of brushing. Obenauf's is easy to overuse. 2 coats is never necessary unless the boots in question have been in a barn for decades, or you're after waterproofing. For basic maint/conditioning, easy does it with that stuff.