or Connect

Posts by Violinist

Quote: Originally Posted by oDD_LotS Add me to the ranks of those who never considered the racial undertones of that phrase until this thread. Growing up in the South, it was just something people said without thought as to what it actually meant. Yea no shit, and I don't think anyone really cares, but look what happened to Don Imus when he tried to make a lame joke to sound hip like all the kids? That's why the "cotton" thing got attention...
Quote: Originally Posted by englanderjk Haven't bothered to read the complete thread but your logic is skewed. If you want to project your bias atleast do so logically. Do you have any idea how common cotton picking was during the period from which the reference is based? WTF? A) I qualified my ignorance of the expression's ubiquity, and said that it probably wasn't a big deal B) The reason I posted this was because this also happened 2...
This time he actually said the whole thing. It wasn't a big deal because apparently its this old timey expression.. he said "Is he out of his cotton pickin mind"? Part of the problem though was that the correspondant that was reporting was black. She was completely stunned when he said it. I saw this live today around 7:25. Wonder what they'll do with it this time.
Quote: Originally Posted by impolyt_one Are you looking for a styling product to hold your hair in place, or a humectant/moisturizer so your hair is more manageable and lays naturally? Your original post sounded like the latter, whilst all of the suggestions have been for the former... I have thick coarse hair as well, which at short lengths is straight and is stiff, but with any real length tends to become wiry/bushy and completely unmanageable......
Quote: Originally Posted by javyn Call it what you will, but I think following these ever changing and never ending series of useless polls is foolish. In the end, you know nothing more than the person who slept through it all and woke up right as the votes were counted. I have a strong background in statistics, so I know not to pay any attention to that bullshit you all are being fed. You're saying that you have a strong background in...
Quote: Originally Posted by oman oh come on, i hate hillary but there's far more relevant things to call her out on than some throwaway comment from thirteen years ago im starting to fear her victory is inevitable though I take it you haven't followed the election... at all?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...n_n_97017.html http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/4...344/372/496943
Isn't it better to just eat food rich in Zinc, or are supplements a good idea? If you eat a normal amount of chicken, lean beef etc... every day, isn't that giving you enough zinc?
Quote: Originally Posted by GQgeek Who says you can't have contempt for both? I think the people who buy what they sell are even worse.
Quote: Originally Posted by Artisan Fan The solution is just to eliminate the tax altogether and let people reinvest the money on their own. Most will probably reinvest the cash. And if they spend it, that's good for the economy as well. This was probably a political ploy that the minister did since he knew such a condition would kill it. The only ones who wouldn't would be seniors, who would have had it in a Roth IRA or whatever, which...