or Connect

Posts by Kaplan

I first heard about this as a pre-teen in the early 80s, from my fellow, video-renting class mates who talked excitedly about it. But somehow I never got around to watching it until now, and it was a lot more fun than I expected. Was pleasantly surprised to see Michael Ironside and (as a The Prisoner fan) Patrick McGoohan. *Splat!*
More red curtains here: Initially imagined as a spin off to Twin Peaks featuring Sherilyn Fenn's character Audrey Horne. Then shot as a pilot for a new tv-series, shelved, but a year later reworked into a feature film, with the addition of newly shot scenes. Out of the batch of 7 Lynch movies I've seen over the last week, this was the best looking and the most satisfying, even without diving into the many interpretations available. Lynch never reveals everything, but I...
Two more, from behind Lynch's red curtains. First one takes place in the same universe as Twin Peaks. ? 'This is some spooky shit we got here.' ??? 'There's a vast network, right? An ocean of possibilities. I like dogs.'
Re-watched all of the tv series recently, finally got around to this and realised that I'd actually never seen it before. It's entertaining enough, darker than the show, but it also loses some of it's charm. I wouldn't call it required viewing, as it primarily deals with Laura Palmer's secret life, which pretty much was all unearthed during the tv series. Best bits here was the ½ hour 'prequel' with Kiefer Sutherland and Chris Isaak, and the ending. Lara Flynn Boyle and...
For some reason, Arrival is late to erh... arrive... here. (Btw, I only think there were 6 DM Single Boxes (I have 4) so that would be 36 CDs.)Putting on Fire Walk With Me now - does anybody know if Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces from '14 is worth watching as well?
From the last couple of days:From Carruth, who did Primer and weirder than that one - here's a cheat sheet: [[SPOILER]] Lynch's first movie, Eraserhead. Still not quite sure what to think of this one. If the world is wild at heart, this is the weird on top.And speaking of:Liked this better in 1990. Made around the same time as Twin Peaks, there's a lot of kin-ship here. Especially the scenes with Diane Ladd and Harry Dean Stanton would've been right at home in the...
DM you say? Don't know if anyone remembers CDs, but I managed to accumulate more than 100 with DM since the 80s. Saw their last three tours too, and I believe someone has secured me tickets for their Global Spirit Tour next year.As for Ghost in the Shell, I gave the following a watch a couple of weeks ago:The original from '95. I haven't watched a lot of anime to compare it with, but I really enjoyed this. Also watched bits of the remastered 2.0 version from '08, but I...
An alien (?) walks and drives around Scotland. Mostly trying to stay incognito, it's taken on the shape of Scarlett Johansson. Though to be fair, this helps it pick up the locals (alternate title: Earth Men Are Easy). At times almost documentaristic in how it shows the (here rather bleak) Scottish cities, at other times it's trippy and dreamy enough to make David Lynch go 'Hey, that's weird'. Also has great shots of the Scottish nature, with many scenes reminding me of...
From a story by M. Night Shyamalan, it might be better than his latest movies, but it's not great. Some suspense but no real scares. Took a guess at which person wasn't 'what they seemed' the moment they walked into the frame and (in spite of some misdirection along the way), turned out to be right. Manages to incorporate Kylo Ren's stupid lightsaber design into the poster. 'You must consider that one of these people might be the Devil.'
90 tense minutes alone with Ryan Reynolds in a coffin. Grave, though maybe not as deep as it could've been (I expected the unearthing of more plot twists), but I still dug it. ' It's over, isn't it?' 'No! ... Yeah.'