Posts by Kaplan

Michael Mann's feature debut, and it already showed many of his would-be trademarks - like neon lit, wet city streets, a driving synth score, and larger than life cops and robbers. Great stuff.
I don't think I noticed any similarities to current fashions (I'm probably too out of the loop for that), but I did think that it was nice how everybody looked much more believeable than in the recent WW2 flick Fury, where it looked like the whole tank crew just came from a hair dressers convention. *** More Mann. And another great movie that was worth a re-watch.
Very nice!
Al Pacino can't get no sleep in this Film Noir in full daylight. Story may be a tad conventional for Nolan, but the mood is great with very efficient use of the unique location. Recommended, if you haven't seen it in a while.
Three films by Michael Mann, from 1983, 2015 and 1986: It almost drowns in the heavy synth score from Tangerine Dream, the smoke machines are working over-time and the ending is more operatic than the production I saw of Lohengrin last year. But then it also has great set designs and lighting, Nazis and the occult, as well as J├╝rgen Prochnow, Gabriel Byrne, Scott Glenn and Ian McKellen. Bloody awful. Bloody brilliant.
Last movie of the year (and a fitting end to 2016?). A very good and rather faithful adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize winning novel (with almost no changes to the book's dialogue). Fitting score from Nick Cave and the young Kodi Smit-McPhee is a great casting choice for The Boy, with features that has an almost uncanny resemblance to his mother's (Charlize Theron). It's almost oppressively bleak, but I like this movie a lot. 'What's happening? Why are...
Haha :-)
That's pretty much what I thought too, but it took me a few more words to formulate. I should work on that.
^ I had that same Swatch sometime around '85
Looks like Randolph Engineering (recommended). American Optical makes similar pilot shades.