Posts by Kaplan

^ I had that same Swatch sometime around '85
Looks like Randolph Engineering (recommended). American Optical makes similar pilot shades.
By 'monthly reset', do you mean 5 times a year?
^ Nice movie, that.
It's probably naive to get the hopes up after Prometheus (great looking, but so dumb), but this definitely looks right:
^ That was part of what made me think of the similarities. (I tried to watch The Omega Man recently, but couldn't - it had aged pretty badly, if it ever were any good to begin with. Not that I Am Legend is particular great either.) A bit uneven, but it has some funny bits and some delightfully quirky ones. And Anderson creates one of his unique universes, with its doll house like sets and sun faded pastels. 'Son of a bitch, I'm sick of these dolphins.'
Watching this, I just realised that Will Smith is the Charlton Heston of the 60s and 70s, when you look at the amount of sci-fi flicks they've headlined. As for this one, considering how ingrained it has become in pop culture, it's actually not that great. Still, if you like this kind of thing, it might be worth a watch. Now, I don't wanna spoil it, but... 'It's people!'
Sidney Lumet directs Don Johnson as the client from hell and Rebecca De Mornay (who gets top billing here) as his attorney. The setup might be preposterous, but if you're willing to go along with it, it's rather fun - in that slightly corny 90's thriller way. 'You know what the problem is with committing perfect murders? 'What?' 'You can't tell anybody about them.'
The swinging 60s Christmas Bond (well, if you count Christmas trees, Christmas presents and happy endings, it manages 2 of of 3 - not bad). 'This never happened to the other fellow.'
Jack Nicholson sticks his nose where some people think it doesn't belong, and Roman Polanski nearly cuts it off. Got 11 Oscar nominations, and yes - it's pretty much perfect. 'Can you believe it? We're in the middle of a drought, and the water commissioner drowns. Only in L.A.'