Posts by Kaplan

That's no taxi.
Haha, I always thought he said 'Come on, you tub of shit!' Either way, I hadn't watched this for at least 25 years, and it was good to see it again. I never really gave much though to Warren Oates' character before, but his 'unhappy-with-our-hero captain' that the 80s liked so much, was up there with the best of them: 'That's the way it's gonna be from now on: Me captain, you cop. Me talk, you listen. If you notice I don't have an ass when I get up out of this chair,...
I had this on video as a kid (not on VHS or Betamax - on Video 2000!). Co-written by Dan O'Bannon (Alien) and directed by John Badham, the same year he did WarGames. Cars, cast and cinematography makes this look more like a 70s thriller than an 80s actioner (was nice seeing Warren Oates - he gets the best lines here - after just seeing him in Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia).Throughout this viewing, it struck me that it could very well be taking place in Robocop's...
These might be too casual for what you're going for, but here I'm wearing a cardigan with a t-shirt (grey, IIRC) and a scarf, and in the other pic, with a chambray shirt. And I'm wearing my grey Drakes cardi over a t-shirt (with navy moleskin pants) as I write this.
Made in 1991 but set all the way in the nearly ozone depleted future of 1995 (there's even a poster for Die Hardest V). It's as corny as an 80s action movie - complete with Sven Ole Thorsen as a henchman - but despite the charisma of the two leads, it doesn't have the charm that the best of those flicks had. (In the opening scene Mickey Rourke passes a sign to White Sands, which was another 90s Rourke movie I considered putting on.) 'There are two ways to ease that...
^ This was a very satisfying first watch for me; even compared to the other new-to-me movies I've seen over the last year, I'd put it in a top 10 as well. Also, I thought that it used its low budget (about $1.5 million) to great effect - never does it seem like they aren't succeeding with what they set out to do, or like a bigger budget would have improved it. And I enjoyed the little nod to Sam Raimi's special camera work, most likely inspired by Joel Coen's work as an...
I don't recall his leaving as him being banned (though he may have been) - more as him leaving over disappointment/disagreement over the forum's direction (details are fuzzy, though).
Thoughts on the Cerium SL (hood less) lightweight down jacket?
IIRC, the only time I saw people walking out on a movie, was while watching Cronenberg's The Fly in 1986. Good times.What did you think of Blood Simple?
According to some sources (and apparently himself as well), this is the 'truest' Peckinham film. The brilliant title aside, it failed to engage me as much as I had hoped and I definitely prefer some of his other, older movies. *** Wickedly effective first thriller from the Coens - a pleasure.