or Connect

Posts by Kaplan

^ That's pretty funky. Was the shop Franz Jaeger & Me or another one? Which sandwich shop were you looking for?
Didn't know who had directed this until the opening credits started and nearly turned it off when I saw it was Refn, as I don't care much for his latest (US) movies. (I do remember though, when his first movie Pusher came out in Denmark in '96 - very cool flick that also had Mads Mikkelsen's first feature role.) Anyway, gave Bronson a chance and it was pretty good. Less violent than could be expected considering the director and the subject matter. Impressive work by Tom...
I like Rutger Hauer and I really wanted to like Hobo With a Shotgun, but it was one of those very few films that only deserved a 1/5 rating, along with The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies and Desperately Seeking Susan.
I'll admit that some of the close up fighting/shooting was rather fresh - don't really think I've seen it done quite like this before. But as you say, largely forgettable (but then, so was Age of Ultron).
Expected more of this, hoping for it to be big, dumb fun. Sadly it was mostly just dumb. Like watching someone play Max Payne but with less story. Unrelated, I was surprised to see it was produced by Eva Longoria, didn't know she produced movies. 2/5
Black Mass sounds like a heavy metal band from Norway.
Not Japanese and not Internal Affairs (it was from Hong Kong and called Infernal Affairs in English).
Rather fed up with comic book movies lately (which for some reason gather huge amounts of hype and surprisingly high review scores, without there often being much there). Stayed away from reviews before this one, and kept the expectations down, and I think it payed off. Considering the large cast, it's rather impressive how Whedon jugles them all, and even more impressive how he balances the action with some pretty funny banter. I could've done with maybe a few dozen...
[[SPOILER]]
[[SPOILER]] Different code, so maybe Barrie? Let's see if someone knows...