or Connect

Posts by Kaplan

Highest grossing movie of 1984 with an Oscar nominated screenplay and Eddie Murphy at his peak. 'Todd's looking for you. He is really pissed. You know what he said? 'This is your worst fuck up ever.' Personally, I don't think that's true.'
Brilliant. 'See you next Wednesday.'
Like Point Blank above, this is also based on The Hunter novel by Donald E. Westlake. I seem to remember that I liked it well enough back in 1999, but watching this on the same day as Point Blank was probably a mistake, as it really doesn't compare favourably. I also checked some of the scenes from the 2006 Directors Cut, but even with a different look (to the better) and a lot of changed scenes and an altered story line (not all of it an improvement), it's still rather...
Had fond memories of this from my first watching of it, sometime in the early 80's. Cool, at times slightly surreal, neo-noir from John Boorman. One thing I noticed this time around, was how Walker's suits (which we never see him change, and not counting his two tweed fits) gets progressively darker as he works his way through the movie. 'You died at Alcatraz all right. Goodbye Walker.' 'Yeah, goodbye Chris.'
Was never a huge fan of this, but it was cool enough for a 2nd or maybe 3rd viewing here 20+ years later. Holds up well enough - no reason for a remake, IMO. [[SPOILER]]
I wouldn't say that either Magnificient 7 or Great Escape rank particular high with me either, but I like 'em well enough to maybe revisit every decade or so.And I need to check out Point Break again.Just finished the Director's Cut of this:I remember seeing the poster for this in '87 and thinking it just looked silly, but I still went to see it and have seen it many times since. A guilty pleasure maybe, but I do have a weak spot for Verhoeven's satire laced sci-fi flicks....
Hmm, I'm not really disagreeing, but I think the story of Seven Samurai and thus Magnificent 7 (1960) is just as much about sacrifice (which is why I think the tacked on Leone-style revenge plot of the remake was a mistake).
I saw Seven Samurai first too (and prefer it too), but I had a good enough time with Sturges' version. I didn't really mind McQueen here either. I don't recall the story of The Wild Bunch, but I recently saw Young Guns, and it's definitely a very different story (and apparently rather close to the real life story of Billy the Kid).
Tons more charm than the recent Fuqua remake. Deftly balances the lighter mood with the seriousness of the proceedings. Brynner and Coburn in particular were meant for slinking about as lean gunslingers. Brynner upon meeting the wood chopping Bronson: 'I'm a friend of Harry Lucks. He tell's me you're broke.' 'Nah, I'm doing this because I'm an eccentric millionaire.'
^ Tak Benjamin. Specielt dit andet skud fra Kulturnatten er rigtigt fint, synes jeg.