or Connect

Posts by Kaplan

Thank you, I actually just stumbled across one of those. Do you know if it only came with a black dial, or did they offer it with a blue as well?
So, if anyone of you have one of these collecting dust in a drawer, please let me know: (26mm, Ref 179174) Or if you know where to pick one up at a good price (would probably have to be from somewhere in Europe)... Alternatively, how far back do you have to go to find a lady's Nautilus in steel (or maybe white gold - quartz is fine), smaller than 30mm? What references to search for?
Well, not the part about it being a visual pleasure to watch ;-) But yes, pretty much. For instance, I think the script is great. The starting dialogue for instance (between Holden and Leon) has one of my favourite things in writing - when people are talking past each other. Here, one is nervously asking questions, the other ignoring them and instead giving blunt directions, which very economically tells a lot about each of the characters and the specific situation...
I agree with the part about the soundtrack.
I agree, First Blood is very good (I should find a copy). Over the top obviously, but compared to the cheesy Rambo sequels that followed, it's story about how a Vietnam veteran is received when returning home is almost poignant.
Speaking of 80's action movie bravado, this seemed like the thing to put on: John McTiernan really had a spectacular hat-trick in the late 80's with this from '87, Die Hard ('88) and The Hunt for Red October ('90). Almost every line from this one is quotable and with very well made creature effects and no bad CGI to date it, it still holds up really well. Great score too. 4/5
Hmm, I guess 'holding up' can mean different things... I don't doubt that for a younger viewer (maybe especially one looking for an action fix), Aliens will be more satisfying. I've seen both recently, and Aliens just felt more dated to me, I think mostly due to the 80's action movie bravado, whereas Alien seemed nearly timeless and still fresh (to me) with it's spectacular set designs, lighting, mood, acting and score. To me it's pretty much a perfect movie. I still love...
Well, as a Bard (albeit an evil one) I would totally expect you to recognise good vs bad storytelling ;-)
In recent days: Re-visiting this Oscar winner from '71, after some 30+ years. Great work by Friedkin and Hackman, but somehow it wasn't as glorious as I had hoped/expected/remembered. 3/5 Rather long at 3 hours, but you're in great company all the way, so 4/5 Rewatching this (the extended version) was a bittersweet experience. Sweet, as it's a near perfect adaptation, with very few things I would have liked to see differently - the best of the trilogy, IMO....
Blade Runner is one of my favourite movies (though I only own 5 of the versions). It sounds like you saw one of the '82 cinematic releases which had a rather tacky happy end slapped on (using left over outdoor scenes shot by Kubrick for The Shining). The unicorn didn't show up until 10 years after in the so called Director's Cut, spelling out Ridley's take on whether Deckard is a replicant or not (until then, this was left ambiguous). Bad move, IMO. Also, the earlier...