or Connect

Posts by Kaplan

Are your kids in their 40s?
Brilliant, double dealing and twisting John le Carré spy yarn. Richard Burton was great, it was nice to see Bernard Lee, and Cyril Cusack was just delightful. (Also, Peter van Eyck has a remarkable resemblance to Julian Glover.) 'But you can't be less wicked than your enemies, simply because your government's policy is benevolent, can you?'
^ You should probably stay off the internets until you've seen all 10 episodes.
^ Thanks for that Mulan. And a little more horror craftmanship from the Carpenter: Never having seen a Halloween movie before, I guess it was about time to check out the original. I'm not a big fan of slashers, but thankfully there's not a lot of slashing going on here. Actually, it was a bit dull, with a rather repetitive first half with not much happening and the suspense not mounting as efficiently as in some later Carpenter films. At the end it got tense enough...
Since I just saw The Thing, I thought I'd finish Carpenter's 'Apocalypse Trilogy'. Recall seeing this at the cinema in '88. Had forgotten how it played out, but some of the more subtle, unsettling imagery had stuck around somewhere in the back of my memory. Rather slow-burning, but if you go along for the ride, it ends in a tense final act (helped by the pulsating synth score by Carpenter himself). Surprisingly well shot for this kind of thing, with great compositions...
Fast times in Neo-Tokyo. Maybe the quintessential anime? Hadn't seen this since watching it on vhs in the early 90s. Lots of great visual flourishes, but it dragged a bit in the second half, when the destruction and mayhem took over. Liked Ghost in the Shell more.
I don't really recall that score, but I did watch OUaTiA within the last few months, even though I don't like it all that much (unlike quite a few here, IIRC).
And some more 80's Cronenberg: Compared to the recently watched Scanners and The dead Zone, I liked this one the least. (I'm thinking that I should probably skip Shivers, Rabid and The Brood...) 'You'll forgive me if I don't stay around to watch. I just can't cope with the freaky stuff.'
Ennio Morricone played in Copenhagen a couple of days ago, as part of his 60 Years of Music world tour. I didn't go, but a couple of my family members did and they had a great time. I leafed through the program they brought back, and it's truly impressive how many movies he's scored over the years - sometimes 24 or more in a single year (yes, that's a new soundtrack every 2 weeks - sometimes for years). Anyway, it inspired me to get these two down from the shelf: My...
Yes.