or Connect

Posts by Kaplan

These two yesterday too: Not much needs to be said about these. My favourite two Tarantino flicks.
I never considered watching this at the cinema, but I should have, as even watching it on a smaller screen was one of those rare Magical Movie experiences. If this is something you think you may like, it's highly recommended.
What is 's/s'?Over the summer I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (short read, recommended - especially if you're a Blade Runner fan) and Leviathan Wakes, which was ok, but I don't imagine I'll continue the series (not surprisingly, the SyFy series The Expanse is less satisfying than the book). Anyway, any recommendations for either something classic or some low brow sci-fi?
Based on James Oliver Curwood's book The Grizzly King from 1916, which was inspired by his own experiences. Impressive how well this works with nearly no dialogue and considering that the two leads can't have been the easiest to direct. Had forgotten about the trippy dreams and the shrooms hallucinations. 'Mmm, I like honey.' (Probably)
More Cold War shenanigans from the 60s: The reluctant spy Harry Palmer goes to Berlin. More grounded than director Guy Hamilton's 4 Bond movies and with an appropriately twisted plot. The score was slightly disappointing. 'Do you have the address?' 'Yes. And my Luger pistol, my cyanide pills and my inflatable Batman suit.'
Are your kids in their 40s?
Brilliant, double dealing and twisting John le Carré spy yarn. Richard Burton was great, it was nice to see Bernard Lee, and Cyril Cusack was just delightful. (Also, Peter van Eyck has a remarkable resemblance to Julian Glover.) 'But you can't be less wicked than your enemies, simply because your government's policy is benevolent, can you?'
^ You should probably stay off the internets until you've seen all 10 episodes.
^ Thanks for that Mulan. And a little more horror craftmanship from the Carpenter: Never having seen a Halloween movie before, I guess it was about time to check out the original. I'm not a big fan of slashers, but thankfully there's not a lot of slashing going on here. Actually, it was a bit dull, with a rather repetitive first half with not much happening and the suspense not mounting as efficiently as in some later Carpenter films. At the end it got tense enough...
Since I just saw The Thing, I thought I'd finish Carpenter's 'Apocalypse Trilogy'. Recall seeing this at the cinema in '88. Had forgotten how it played out, but some of the more subtle, unsettling imagery had stuck around somewhere in the back of my memory. Rather slow-burning, but if you go along for the ride, it ends in a tense final act (helped by the pulsating synth score by Carpenter himself). Surprisingly well shot for this kind of thing, with great compositions...