or Connect

Posts by lance konami

"How Much Protein?" www.bradpilon.com
Quote: Originally Posted by turbozed Can you link me to any of the studies on pubmed? Your request involves too much work on my part. I suggest you just buy the ebook and do as much research on the studies cited as you want.
Quote: Originally Posted by Scrumhalf Lance, your posts are very informative - thanks! I would like to see more details on what the vegetarian diet from the study looks like. I am vegetarian and there's no way I can protein without a lot of carbs coming along. If you take lentils, beans, etc. - the staple protein sources of vegetarians, they also come with a lot of carbs. There's virtually nothing in the vegetarian diet that's the equivalent of tuna...
Quote: Originally Posted by PolePosition Pretty interesting study results Lance. So how does one reconcile that with Turbozed's results? Looks like those are referring to protein synthesis which is actually a different thing from increased muscle mass. There's a lot of confusion about the two. Quote: Would it be fair to say (assuming that both of the studies have accurate results) that while protein consumption is important in...
Quote: Originally Posted by whacked Right... you'll get the equivalent amount of calcium in a 8oz glass of milk from 1 pound of cooked broccoli, which by the way has over 200 calories. "When it comes to building strong bones, broccoli's got it all for less. One cup of cooked broccoli contains 74 mg of calcium, plus 123 mg of vitamin C, which significantly improves calcium's absorption; all this for a total of only 44 calories. To put this in...
Here's another interesting study on testosterone and muscle growth, also from "How Much Protein?" Quote: One of the most interesting studies showing the effect of working out without any extra protein was published back in 1996. 43 men who were experienced weight lifters took part in research that involved exercise and weekly injections of anabolic steroids (testosterone enanthate) for 10 weeks [Bhasin S, 1996]. The men in the study were divided into 4 groups;...
Quote: Originally Posted by ShyBoy of course protein is integral to building muscle,but i personally have tried different diets,varied the amount of meals,amount of protein and nutrient timing,and found that the amount of protein that is needed is greatly exaggerated eg 40 grams per meal Yes, protein is necessary, but even vegetarians get enough protein to build muscle. Here's an interesting study taken from "How Much...
Quote: Originally Posted by turbozed Hmm...can you link me to any of these studies? Pretty interesting since everywhere I've read seems to confirm that protein is integral to muscle synthesis. What do you mean by "muscle synthesis?" Do you mean protein synthesis? Because protein synthesis is NOT the same as increased muscle mass, but they are often confused and lumped together.
Quote: Originally Posted by erdawe It's the blind leading the blind. What?
Quote: Originally Posted by MetroStyles Wouldn't that defy the idea that maintaining a caloric deficit is the primary cause of weight loss? Not sure I follow you here...Intermittent fasting does create a calorie deficit, and yes, creating a calorie deficit is the primary cause of fat loss. Quote: (And as a follow-up, that generally speaking it is almost impossible to lose fat while maintaining 100% of your muscle mass?) Not...