or Connect

Posts by youngScholar

Tangentially related: Forbes just came out with their ranking of undergraduate schools, and the results are interesting. More info. "The rankings are based on five general categories: Post Graduate success (30%), which evaluates alumni pay and prominence, Student Satisfaction (27.5%), which includes professor evaluations and freshman to sophomore year retention rates, Debt (17.5%), which penalizes schools for high student debt loads and default rates, Four Year...
Waiting through a full year of spoiler pics will just make it worse.
So what if the mechanic does not make it to six-figures? Suppose he hits his earning potential in the high five-figures, while liking his job, raising a family, and keeping decent enough work hours to read in his spare time. Counter to much of what gets marketed today, you don't need to be a millionaire to live a pretty kick-ass life.That Google example . . . :cry
Watched Limitless last night. Very interesting take on brain-enhancers. Surprising ending.
While someone may have great academic ability and (academic) work ethic, this may not actually translate into getting a good job. Profs may not even be considering the latter. If anything, the opinion seems to be that professors should take a harder line as to how they evaluate students for graduate school rather than effectively saying "You're brilliant!" and just writing letters of reference.
Here is another pic of the Batmobiles (in Pittsburgh):
Nice. Bane's costume is really fugly, but I guess it's part of the venom delivery system. Here's another theory:
If the article is accurate, then not only is the BA becoming more watered-down but the MA may come to be as well.Manton, thank you for putting the IQ and status issues out in the open.I think it is less about any explicit ideology driving students to college than a variety of social forces converging. There is a great deal of marking done to paint college as the only real ticket to a "good life." I"m not saying this marketing is all wrong, but students are seeing a...
IMO an integral part of overhauling the system involves strengthening the rigor of the pre-college experience. Far too much gets made of access, access, access, and not of quality.
Just finished The Doors of Perception.