Posts by R.O. Thornhill

Am a big fan of the botany book. There is a beautiful grey glencheck with blue overcheck and a very good navy herringbone
Go for it. A classic bespoke dinner jacket will give you pleasure for years. And you will get to enjoy a lot of comments along the lines of "why doesn't my dinner jacket look as good as yours? I bought it at Armani/Brioni/etc?"
Thanks! It was the first overcoat Steed made for me and whilst it has seen a lot of abuse it has held up well. I love what Edwin does with double-breasted lapels on suits and on overcoatsAs for Sexton vs C&M - I have never seen a Sexton suit in person so cannot make any comparison. But I cannot speak highly enough of the C&M teamR-O-T
The other Steed overcoat - having suffered through a whole day of travel and being flung over meeting chairs
On trousers it is just important that the look is coherent. So trousers would need to be with a lot of shape and prob a high waist. I think the structures shoulder looks better with a longer coat and more flared skirt. Maybe not necessarily as long as those from C&M but not too far off it. If you are going structured you might as well go dramatic. The conservative structured look has limited appeal to me I would go for a navy odd jacket similar to mine (or DB) or a...
I had some Kilgour stuff made years and years ago (there may even be some photos around but this is a long time ago) - and C&M is infinitely superior. And god knows what Kilgour makes nowI personally think C&M's strong shoulder, long flared skirt, close fit works best at the more formal end of the spectrum. I just can't imagine one of their jackets with jeans or corduroy trousers. It really works best when the whole look is consistent. Am going to have them make some...
@dieworkwear I absolutely love Chittleborough and Morgan. The clothes are fantastic - though clearly of a very particular style. I have a couple of suits, this jacket and also an overcoat in the works and I bring them out for classic power dressing; and also for more glamorous evenings out. Wore a three piece peak lapel suit by them to a Paris Fashion week party and it got a lot of positive attention. They are also my wife's favourite jackets because of the...
And here is the outfit without overcoat and scarf. It is a Chittleborough & Morgan blazer in (I think) Smith's Botany, with a pair of Ambrosi worsted trousers, Vass oxblood longwings, a Charvet tie and a Sean O'Flynn shirt. Casual Friday client meetings R-O-T
A while back I promised pictures of bespoke overcoats. Here is one - a chesterfield by Steed. Navy camel/wool blend from memory. Sorry for the crappy mirror selfie photo. Hopefully you will be able to tell something of the shape however Will try to take one of the DB and the new C&M DB (fitting next week) asap R-O-T
Will try to get some photos over the next days and when I am next in for a fitting with C&M in the new year. If this is something you will wear nearly daily for 3-4 months I would recommend a dark cloth, and not a camel Polo. Just to be practical. I can see a fancier / lighter coloured coat being sensible as a second or third overcoat And I do probably stand by the need to get suit and sports coat basics sorted first. But guess everyone has different views as to what...