or Connect

Posts by MetroStyles

Quote: Originally Posted by tomgirl An ex and I used to go away on weekend trips kind of spur of the moment. Usually nowhere crazy, but a couple of times we'd fly out of the country to the States. What made it so romantic is that we virtually shut off everyone else for those 2-3 days and spent it all doing anything and everything we could find to enjoy ourselves together. There's also something to be said for going out to restaurants with someone who you...
Quote: Originally Posted by indesertum best way to keep the romance is going is to keep just the right amount of distance and to do things without the so Hmm, I don't necessarily agree. What you are saying definitely works, empirically from my perspective, with regards to keeping her attraction high. That isn't what this thread is about. I think it is very possible to keep attraction high without much romance.
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire First rule of Romance Club: you don't talk about Romance Club. Sorry, you got my overall philosophy but you don't get my execution. Can I get a backdoor to the Romance Club as an extension of my Bromance Club membership? Gay pun intended.
How about some more examples of creative and personal romantic gestures rather than typical consumerist-driven signs of devotion? Since this is not an advice thread, your stories need not apply to me. Just interested in hearing some creative, heartfelt, or subtle examples of romance that you guys have experienced. It doesn't even have to be planned - perhaps it was a moment that occurred between two people without one of them necessarily orchestrating anything. Maybe it...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire I'm impressed because you are on the correct path. "Romance" is not about corny and trite gestures. "Romance" is not something that happens between strangers (much to the chagrin of bodice rippers everywhere.) Romance is created through simple yet meaningful gestures between people that know each other well. It is about showing that you are paying attention to the wants, needs, preferences and desires of the...
So what did she say in that speech, T-bone? I wonder - can romance be realistic or does it purely reside in the realm of idealism? I am an idealist at heart which is why the topic is starting to fascinate me more and more. For a long time I thought romance was for fools but then I realized that a relationship or affair without romance is like life without music. It does the trick, but there is a lot being missed out on. I also hated romance films for a long time (and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Matt because I feel like we are on the verge of another MS lovelife thread with all the potential of his foray into internet dating. Unlikely. The online dating thread held a lowest-common-denominator appeal to the masses, much like the Springer show. I don't have too many interesting thoughts on the topic at hand so I expect it won't be nearly as effective in getting people interested or riled up. I am...
Not interested in romantic advice. More interested in how other SFers feel about romance and how they've used it in their lives. Flowers are one thing (effective if not creative) but I'm sure there are some more creative/meaningful examples out there. I expect that many examples of romance are only romantic given the unique situation of a given relationship. Perhaps these are the most romantic moments as they cannot be copied or mass-produced with the same effect.
How wearable?
Depends on how you got into the Friend Zone.