or Connect

Posts by clubman

Quote: Originally Posted by Manton I really have no idea what you are talking about at this point. You seem to have done interesting research and have interesting things to say but if you just want to pick fights, you're going to have to fight with someone else. I am combative -- too much so -- but not interested this time. If you have no idea what I am talking about, how on earth can you suggest that I am picking a fight? PAX.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton yeah, that's me Oh, I thought that you were he of the cascading strings!
Quote: Originally Posted by pvrhye I'd think the ease of finding a white satin bow-tie gives a little credit to the idea that black bowtie love isn't so monolithic. Then again, "black tie" in a white tie does sound contradictory. 'Black tie' is just another way of saying 'dinner jacket'. But the agonizing over this is beyond belief! As I say, most people couldn't give a rat's backside.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton yeah, great. That's raht, bahy! I think that there is a touch of envy there because most Americans go absolutely nuts for the royal family and virtually adopted the Little Dook as a kind of surrogate sovereign.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Because it does not follow that because something was correct at one time, therefore it must be correct for all time. White tie with DJ is at least 100 years passe. I don't believe in all this vaunted support for the notch DJ. All we have, it seems to me, are some American dry goods catalogues and people like Prince Phillip, who is widely regarded as ... well, as kind of an embarassment to England. It's a fact that...
Quote: Originally Posted by JLibourel ^Yes, full-fig white tie ensembles are used sometimes as wedding attire. One notable case would be Scott Peterson of Scott & Laci infamy. He wore full evening attire to his wedding with the hapless Laci. In the published photo in the tabloids, it appeared to be broad daylight. In the debate between ancient precedent vs. current usage, where, then, does the despised notch-lapel DJ/tuxedo fit? It has both the sanction...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Well I have done my part, I have worn white tie several times but I bet I never will have occasion to again. I think it's a dead form at this point. Yes, nearly agreed; although there will be, for a time, the continuation of the Caledonian and Oban Balls, which prescribe dress coats (the Caledonian Ball presided over, ironically, by a committee which includes the current Lord Dupplin). There are also groups...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bounder I cannot help but find that Manton is correct. I mean, you can't wear a white tie with, ahh, black tie. But really, things are confusing enough as it is. "Black tie" is now even the recognized dress code. It is hard enough to get people to dress in some vague approximation of black tie as it is without counter-intuitive exceptions. You might have gotten away with this once-upon-a-time when there was a wider...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton I have no doubt that your research is all solid, but I really can't agree that white tie with a DJ is still correct. It's been nearly 100 years. There is a solid social expectation that DJ = black tie and tailcoat = white tie. And there is no other ground for what is correct or not other than social expectation. Aha! We meet at last! Those who escape from Devil's Island plainly share a bond from the bitter...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton "Sail Away" is a damned fine Coward number too! However, as a point of information, the devil-in-chief (Adolf himself), laid into me with his pitchfork and I jumped into the warm Pacific Ocean. Then, after firing a salvo, from the Good Ship FNB, I sailed away. Since it has been graciously mentioned, my second book has four and a half pages on all this: including ties and vest combos for white and black tie;...