or Connect

Posts by clubman

Quote: Originally Posted by JLibourel What is Book III going to be about? Book II has already started me smoking my pipes more often! Book III is sub-titled "A Short Guide To The Sporting Life" and is about Town and country sports: drinking; shootin', huntin', fishin', hawkin', hackin'; cards; dancing; cheese-rolling; hurling; rose-growing and smelilng - and even a little bit about the first steam passenger railway: another oddball book, for...
Quote: Originally Posted by JLibourel Manton, or anybody with a knowledge of recent sartorial history, when did the dread notch-lapel DJ resurface? I get the sense it's been back for quite a while now. For instance, a book put out by Esquire entitled Good Grooming for Men in 1969 cites the notch lapel as being appropriate for a DJ. They even having a drawing of one. However, the other particulars are rather cringe-worthy, e.g., flapped hacking...
Quote: Originally Posted by JLibourel Well, Nick, when you lament that your work "will never meet with much US approval (even acknowledgement of its existence)" mightn't the fact that your work is Anglocentric to point of self-parody contribute in some small measure to this state of affairs? Nonetheless, I did enjoy both your books greatly. Hee hee! They are all meant to be in the category of humour! The first one derived from an occasion...
Quote: Originally Posted by Will C. Very insightful. However, frock coats were not worn with knee breeches. Clerical frock coats were and, as for the rest, I am not entirely sure that they never were but the advent of the frock coat coincided with the introduction of pantaloons and overalls, so generally they were not.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton FWIW, PP and GWB actually like each other. They are both outdoorsy, sporty, "macho" types. I know for a fact that GWB finds the whole subject of fashion contemptible and I would not be surprised of PP does too. Phil has got my Book I because the Eccentric Club (of which he is Patron) gave him a copy.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Clubman is not English, I don't think. Anyway, citing Phillip as an example of correct dress makes about as much sense as citing GWB. Niether is a style icon and neither seems to care about it that much. And in GWB's case it's not that he's a hick. He's not. He's from an old WASP family that understands tradition. When GWB had to, he knew how to do formal wear correctly. He just hated to do it and tried to avoid...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bounder This time you are throwing stones at a hornet's nest. I suspect you took umbrage at Manton's aside about Prince Philip. Fair enough, I suppose. As so often, it is a question of whose ox is being gored. Having said that, I will not have you two fighting. You are both leading experts and published authors. You are uniquely situated to have some extremely interesting discussions which I -- and possibly even...
Quote: Originally Posted by ctp120 To be fair: quit playing coy; you've done the lion's share. And I wasn't seriously trying to incite something. I meant what I said about the high road. I guess that it is interesting provoking reactions ; even as a small kid I once threw stones at a gaggle of geese, which then turned on me and I had to run like billy-o.
Quote: Originally Posted by ctp120 Truth be told, a less cantankerous, nonchalant Manton is probably taking the higher road here, but as a spectator, I'm longing for the old irascible poster circa 2004. The potential rhetorical fireworks in the duel stirring have promise. Stop stirring.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton I could cite chapter and verse, is that really necessary? Anyway, if you aren't, great. Let's be friends instead.