or Connect

Posts by clubman

Quote: Originally Posted by Archivist Clubman, that is lovely, and quite interesting. Thank you very much. I've got both your books on order. I look forward to reading them, and to vol. 3 coming out. Thanks, Archivist! There is a bit more on vents in Book I too but, as you have that on order, I won't spoil the fun!
Quote: Originally Posted by Archivist I'm curious about the origins and history of the various styles of vent in men's coats, viz. center vent (and it's variants) side vents, and or course ventless. I have some impressions of the history, but I'd like to hear any input from those students of the history of clothes and tailors who have more authoritative knowledge on the matter. It's commonly stated that a center vent is an American style, that it is...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jangofett You mean Elton John? A lip-reader friend of mine caught him quoting Catullus to his chum; the particular excerpt rhymes with 'chum' too.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grenadier You forget the overarching concern: the Irish Guards uniform has lots of shiny gold. Of course, that was a factor too.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ich_Dien "Sorry, lads, I know I work with you all and everything, but your uniform is just not dashing enough for this occasion. Keep up the good work, yeah?" Tommy Rot!and he did wear his wings. It takes those born under a monarchy to appreciate these things. Those who have dumped them along the way just don't get it.
Quote: Originally Posted by JayJay If so, good call by him, IMO. The Irish Guards are in Afghanistan - and he did wear his RAF 'wings'. I am sure that alot of thought and care went into the decision. Even better call not to invite Bliar and Garden Broom, who put British forces in Afghanistan - incomprehensible and irresponsible policy.
Quote: Originally Posted by ginlimetonic screams funeral rather than wedding.... They are a pair of ignorant, humourless goons and it does not take a particularly high IQ to get the gong on properly but he cannot quite get there.
Quote: Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley According to British newspapers, it does. Whatever you do, do not believe everything (indeed many things) that you read in the newspapers!
Quote: Originally Posted by ShaneB Time to restore the Italian monarchy! They'll need Garibaldi's Englishman for that.
Quote: Originally Posted by JLibourel ^Are you going to include ferreting? I suspect at least as many Britons engage in that pursuit as they do hawking, which of course is slightly different from falconry, the latter being practiced by a falconer, the former by an austringer. (And I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time the word "austringer" has been used in the history of SF!) Strictly, an austringer is one who trains and flies...