or Connect

Posts by jerrysfriend

Alan Bates in "An Englishman Abroad," a must see for forum members, with scenes shot in the basement of John Lobb, at a Savile Row tailor, Sulka, etc. A review: "My very favorite video: An Englishman Abroad (TV 1983). Favorite scene: Burgess and Browne size each other up, in silence. And yes, God Is An Englishman. To quote Alan Strachan one of his supreme performances, in Alan Bennett's An Englishman Abroad. Based on the meeting in Moscow between the actress Coral Browne...
The Atlanta (Lenox Square) store has about 20 left; fall/winter weight-reduced form $1,298 to $499. They have double breasted in navy and gray chalk stripes (none in my size, unfortunately) and single breasteds in several colors and patterns (mostly 2 button). Only one in my size (41R), a two button mid grey glenplaid.
Quote: How many of these elements should somebody wearing a suit every days own* ? 1) Ties?  My reply = 40 2) Suits? 10 3) shoes? 6 4) shirts? 15 5) cufflinks? 3 6) braces? 4 7) belts? 1 8) watches? 2 9) coat ? 2 10) mac ? 1 * not to be wearing the same clothes all the time and not to wear out them in a short time. My own personal idea about an appropiate minimum: 1) Ties? 1,255 2) Suits? 202 3) shoes? 192 4) shirts? 517 (including 212 that are...
Here is something you don't see too often, "real" 40+ year-old Peals, before Brooks bought the name. I assume that these are ready-mades, instead of bespoke. http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW The question is: did Peal make its own ready-made shoes back then, or just the bespoke ones, as Cleverly does now?
Brooks has been carrying high quality Martin Greenfield hand-tailored "Golden Fleece" suits for a while now; current prices about $1,298. For Spring, they have some upgraded Martin Greenfields at $1,700. These are made of Super 120 or 130 English or Scottish fabric, instead of Italian, have more handwork inside, and have added a pen pocket; they have a better grade of Bemberg lining in both the coat and trousers and are set up to add working button holes. I saw 2-button...
Quote: Quote: (ernest @ Feb. 17 2005,14:54) I could go and buy it (I must spend 1 hour in train). I don't believe you've given away the name of that mysterious location, have you?  Some of us end up in Paris once in a while. It is here: http://www.lavalleevillage.com/LaVallee/home.asp
Quote: Quote: (jerrysfriend @ Feb. 17 2005,10:51) I like the French flag tie. I selected it and the two repps. Anyone jealous that I have a personal shopper in Paris? KenCPollock/Jerrysfriend In that case, can you send me the houndstooth/shepard's check? You will have to fight Ernest for it.
I like the French flag tie. I selected it and the two repps. Anyone jealous that I have a personal shopper in Paris? KenCPollock/Jerrysfriend
[quote=Fabienne,Feb. 15 2005,07:09] Quote: This is interesting to me.  I have a similar reaction to yours, but being French, I just take it in stride, assuming it is part of a culture that is not mine, and since I live here, I have to accept it, like many other things that rub me the wrong way. It is not a part of the culture; it is relatively new; maybe 20-25 years old. It started in California, I believe, to increase sales. It was never done too...
Quote: jerrysfriend, I'm a little surprised that you didn't like Le Cirque 2000, but in NY I would recommend Daniel, Le Bernardin, Per Se, Gramercy Tavern, Alain Ducasse NY, and perhaps V, which is a bit controversial, but by the same chef as Jean Georges...  As for Italian, I'm not an expert on the style, but Circo (in Las Vegas) is quite good, although I'm not sure if you would like it as it is by the same family as Le Cirque.  Have you tried...