or Connect

Posts by jerrysfriend

Just got back-three plays and lots of good food, but this is more of interest here: My best buys: (a) Polo at 72 and Madison-two pairs of EGs; A Black Whittier captoe oxford with a type of U throat and a dark Oak Borden penny loafer with a split toe- they were $850 reduced to $499, with trees included. It seems as if Polo is getting rid of all their readymade EG's, but I did not ask about it. Polo's shoes are against two walls (one of sale shoes and one of regular priced...
Thanks guys. I used to live in New Orleans and frequently ate at the restaurant that pretty much invented fancy breakfasts and Sunday brunch, Brennan's, so I am not interested in Norma's. By the way, Norma's was the name of the world-famous New Orleans whorehouse that closed in the early 1960s.   Some good suggestions here, though. I have eaten prior weekend or holiday lunches at both Balthazar and Town; they were mostly brunch, especially the latter. I also have eaten...
I will be in NYC May 27-June 1. I have most of my meals booked, but I am having a hard time with Saturday lunch and Memorial Day lunch. Not too much appears to be open and I do not like Eggs Benedict, or the usual brunch type crap. Any suggestions? Ken Pollock
During my life I have learned that there were three great myths I grew up with; Santa Claus, the Easter bunny and that France was not wonderful. After 20+ trips there, IMO, France is heaven on earth.
If they have three crests (The Queen, the Duke of Edinborough, and the Prince of Wales) they are probably not more than 20-25 years old. I once saw an old pair with two crests (none for the Prince of Wales). I am not sure when it added his.
I have no damn idea what Haiku is; too chic and trendy for me, but I know limericks, such as: There once was a lad from Paree, His name was Ernest you see, He didn't like brown, It would cause him to frown, His true love: Hilditch & Key
Had dinner with Chris and the wives a few weeks ago at Woodfire Grill. http://www.woodfiregrill.com/index.asp He indicated that the owner of Grenson took his own sweet time in making decisions and could not be rushed. Bennie's has not given up.
A few years ago, after a high school reunion in Roanoke, my wife and I went to very famous resort in western Virginia, the Homestead, to spend three days. It was beautiful, but not really our kind of place; nature, golf, sports, trails, etc. We are city folk. We were bored after one day. http://www.thehomestead.com/index2.asp Longing for something interesting to do, we took the hotel bus for a side trip to nearby Warm Springs, to go swimming in the very ancient Jefferson...
I was at a Brooks branch yesterday, talking to the manager about some of my experiences with Ernest. I got around to the fact that he invented the forum's informal motto, "Brown is for Farmer," (why don't we get some t-shirts printed up with that phrase printed on them). He thought that was pretty funny and said that it reminded him of a story told by his father, the original manager of the first Brooks in Atlanta. His father had a good customer who always bought brown...
Twenty years ago, there was a 13 part French food series on PBS hosted by John Kennedy's former press secretary, Pierre Salinger, of French descent. He had traveled all over France to film it. The two funniest episodes delt with the famous chef Jean Bardet, now of Tours (and his wife, Sophie) and M. Poilane. Sophie Bardet was shown calling the Limoges factory to order plates in a color which would match her husband's watercress sauce and a new frock she had bought; then...