or Connect

Posts by Leather man

I know there's not much interest in Church's shoes on Styleforum but just to post that I tried to order two different pairs through Herrings and have found that Church's have abandoned their Made to Order programme. So unless what you want is in stock its tough luck. Such a shame.
My experience results from owning several pairs of Church's Polished Binder leather shoes. The "scuffs" are more like a bruising of the finish - they seem permanent - at least I have never been able to remove them. What I cannot understand is why even on SF pre -Prada Bookbinder goes uncriticised but post Prada Bookbinder ( then renamed Polished Binder - same stuff) is held up as a sign that Church's are going down hill. You see many examples of corrected grain...
I am going away for a couple of weeks but will try to remember to post pics when I return.I did a quick calculation of the price increase for MTO for G&G and EG since 2007. G&G have gone up by 67% ! (granted based on the price of £500 forMTO - which may have been simply to gain a foothold in the market) and EG have will have gone up by 47% once they bring in their annual price rise in January. For the first time I am beginning to wonder if the shoes are really worth...
Is that a cut or a seam I can see ? Soon after you had these G&G BS made I rang Dean to ask if he had any of the tan pig skin left - for an extra £100 on top of the MTO surcharge I had a pair of Derwent made up. I don't know if it was from the same skin as yours but Dean did say it was left over from a BS order. They are my most comfortable and favourite pair of G&Gs!
Please remember that its one of only a very few models they stock in F fitting. Also some of us were very glad to find Edwards of Manchester stocked all their G&Gs in F fitting ( there are a lot of men with wide-ish feet) and are now dissapointed to find their newer stocked models are in E fitting. I am told this is due to the influence of the Asian market - more customers of Edwards on line and Bespoke England are from Asia than anywhere else - hence the offering of...
I emailed Dean and it turns out you're right! Vintage Cherry and Vintage Oak.
Please would you tell me what colour the two double buckle shoes are - is the red one vintage cherry? The green does not look like Racing Green - it looks like a crust leather to me - is it Olive?Many thanksLM
I understand what you are saying but don't agree. Those double monks are of a classic style. G&G do offer a double monk through Bespoke England where both straps sweep away from the vamp - and you may prefer that model. My three pairs of Church's double monks have the top strap sweeping away but the bottom strap descending in a straight line. As for the "Lazyman slip-ons" its another classic style which George Cleverley also offer called the "Churchill" since he...
I'm in trouble!! What is that new red colour called?
I appreciate the question but one cannot tell much from looking at pictures. What pictures show us is what the shoemaker has done with the sole leather rather than how it looks when arrives at the factory or workshop. So on one level I might suggest you look at any picture of a Gaziano and Girling sole or Cheaney Imperial rang and compare with any picture of an Edward Green sole. However I don't think it will tell you much. So, my comments are based on ownership. I...