or Connect

Posts by jefferyd

I apologize if I sounded snarky, it's just that we've been down this road so many times before. We're confronted by a chorus of "but I do it all the time!" I'm sure if you went onto a car enthusiast's forum and told them all its fine to take their cars through the automatic car wash they'd lose their minds as well lol
It's on the internet so it must be true.One of the best tailors in the country (in the world?) tells you it's a bad idea and you correct him because a couple of equally misguided guys on the internet tells you it's ok?
Both seam allowances are typically pressed toward the coat for a spalla camicia, rather than pressed open or toward the sleeve. There is also very little, if any structure.
Ideabiella
The Brioni buttonholes use a different kind of thread and gimp, and as they stitch around the keyhole they pull the knot a little differently- it's the same technique I use on my own buttonholes, and I'm in the process of showing the finishers at HF how to do them this way and we're ordering the same gimp and silk thread now. I think they look better. I agree with the comment about the Tom Ford stuff and I was told it was a question of capacity- they didn't have enough...
I hear it all the time from retailers that it's becoming increasingly impossible to find decent tailors to do alterations in-house so they are getting backed up with work. If a store is not able to service their own customers in a decent amount of time it stands to reason that they would not want to take in work on "outside" garments. Fok makes a good point about the examples not being analogous (I am a tailor and my brother is a goldsmith so I am somewhat familiar with...
I've started to sew again.
Thank you. Maybe for three months to start but then I will settle in Rochester at HF. In theory, anyway- these things can change.
I did some work with HF back when they belonged to HMX group (they were then sold to Samuelsohn, the company at which I started my career in the ready-made industry). I will be joining HF/Samuelsohn on a permanent basis in February so I can give a better report at that time.
Or maybe it's because the Euro has dropped from $1.34 to $1.07 over the last two years.Wow, there's a whole lot of misinformation in this thread...