or Connect

Posts by David Watts

^^^Ouch. What did you say to Renoir, De Sica, Ozu, Godard, Herzog, Bergman, Truffaut, Kurasowa, Cassavetes, Woody Allen, Fellini, & Antonioni, et al? The training montage in Cockfighter alone is up there with the best of them, from Eisenstein to Rocky... Excerpted from 0:21 - 0:27 in the following trailer: IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held...
Although I'd like to claim something tasteful, perhaps courtesy of Shostakovich or Mahler, the reality is much more crude. Usually, it's "Cheri Love Affair," "Gimmie Some Head," or "C**k on the Loose," as performed by Sir GG Allin.
Coincidentally(?), the popular blogs A Continuous Lean & The Selvedge Yard both had recent features concerning Two-Lane Blacktop. .
Quote: Originally Posted by LabelKing Grampa Simpson (0:21)? IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREETIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g....
An old band of mine once played a show at the bowling alley in Northampton (this was '99 or so). The only other performer was Mike Flood (he did the cover art for The Natural Bridge). We all went to a house party afterward. Genuinely nice and funny guy.
Quote: Originally Posted by Scrounger As an aside, Primal Scream did a pretty nice album inspired by this movie, sort of a soundtrack after the fact. Couple of tracks from it are also on their best-of. "Kowalski." Kate Moss was in the video.
Definitely watch Two-Lane Blacktop next. It has Warren Oates and Harry Dean Stanton (towering pillars of 70s cinema), and one of the best endings of any film, ever. Also, James Taylor and Dennis Wilson are the surprisingly good lead actors. The director (Monte Hellman) only made a handful of films. In addition to being the (uncredited) second unit director on the original Robocop, he did another film with Warren Oates and Harry Dean Stanton. It's called Cockfighter. As...
Mildly annoyed that the extra 40 minutes listed in the schedule was just an episode of another series. Trying to fool the people with DVRs, AMC? In fact, it felt more than a little bit like: "Okay, Junebug, these are for you." "What about the rest?" "The rest are a preview of our exciting new series, Rubicon!" Quote: Originally Posted by Humperdink I like Vince Gilligan as creative overseer more than as director, and the episode's...
Hannibal in his double-breasted linen suit all day...