or Connect

Posts by otc

Interesting point that Apple's system is almost certainly recompressing your music. No way the wireless audio is lossless, and possibly not whatever format the lightning port is using. So instead of your mp3 getting decoded and sent to the DAC, it is getting transcoded to some other lossy format first. And in the case of most wireless headphones, probably getting decoded by a DAC that is optimized for battery life, small size, and low latency rather than quality. But...
This Aleppo thing is pretty dumb...Even the NYTimes doesn't actually know what it is
Just finished The Man in the High Castle on amazon and would recommend it.
The whole courage thing reminds me of ads for bland products that mention "design" as a selling point hoping that just by using the word, consumers will believe their design is special. Like when Ford was pushing the five hundred as some beautiful design object like a Mercedes or bmw when it was actually one of the blandest designs even Ford could come up with. But hey, if you repeat it enough times, consumers will believe it.
I think the whole headphone jack thing is dumb--and offering $160 earbuds that will be prone to getting lost as an alternative is a little dumb too...But I will say that the charging case is actually quite clever. Keeps them protected and together, and solves the battery life issue for a large number of users. No good for cross country flights or people who spend all of their day with one earbud in taking calls...but good for people who commute on the subway and maybe...
I've never wanted to have a signature on the forum...but if I did, this would be it.
Interesting, you may be right...although wouldn't you need two of them (they are single channel), and wouldn't you need to amplify that signal to headphone levels? So I am still skeptical...
There has to be...I'm not even going to bother finding a source.The dongle is just a cable--no room for a DAC in there. And the earbuds are just the old earbuds with a new connector...again no room for a DAC.Ergo, the lightning connector must have analog audio output.Also, doesn't the lightning connector get used in docks with stereo break outs? The old one did, and I don't think they removed any functionality when they went lightning.
But the headphone jack isn't really outdated technology like the other connectors were. It is dated (as in "designed a long time ago by smart people"), but it isn't anymore outdated than buttons, and apple still has 4 of those on the phone. As this article notes-- https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-just-demonstrated-why-people-hate-the-tech-industry-205324013.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb --The headphone jack's job is to interface with our ears, and our ears...