or Connect

Posts by Sprezzatura2010

Quote: Originally Posted by yerfdog Yeah, but she governed a state whose entire population is similar to that of Louisville, Kentucky, and whose economy is based overwhelmingly on natural resource extraction. I don't know that experience like that would necessarily translate well to the national stage. Indeed. Couple that with her feelings about religion in government, and she's perfect to take over a small Emirate. But not anything that...
Peggy Noonan (someone with some skin in the game, being a smart conservative woman) gets the Palin phenomenon (and the cynicism of the GOP "elite") absolutely right in her recent WSJ piece. Though I'm not sure what she meant by Lincoln having "gotten a Fulbright," admittedly.
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire 1) 20-30k is jack at top end schools. You said the idea is to spend money, right? Why funnel kids into second tier schools? Makes no sense to me. How would capping the total amount of student loan indebtedness at 30k (a number I pulled out of a ticket pocket), with everything above that dealt with in some way (gov't forgiveness on direct loans, payouts to banks) funnel kids into second-tier schools?...
Quote: Originally Posted by Rambo Give up the Student Loan forgiveness guys. Ain't happening. It's easier to pass a stone than it is to discharge a SL debt. Didn't say "discharge." I was thinking more like a bailout. Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Would things like this be means tested? ("this" are my student loan forgiveness idea and hard sciences graduate assistantship funding idea) I would not...
Quote: Originally Posted by crazyquik It is, but I think the sentiment runs much farther. The Vanity Fair article notes that Palin gave a speech recently in rural Indiana which, supposedly, is filled with her base. Rural Indiana is more Southern than the Deep South. That's where the KKK was reborn in the 1920s. So no shock Palin does well there.
Looks a lot like a Citroen C6 mixed with a big Volvo.
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire And again, I did not raise the label "brown." That's what some board liberal types use as code for "non-white." Or what some of us brown people say when we don't think those with whom we're speaking will understand "desi" and we're too lazy to say Pak-Bengali-Indian... Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire So...you gonna tell Barry he needs to differentiate the brown folk better? South...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Come now. If he was white, would he have this job? Of course not. He's a) famous and as you said b) an Obama syncophant c) Asian. Take any of those three away, and you'd take him out of the running for this "position." (I use quotes, because it seems a created/contrived one). Oh, I thought by "who his parents were" you were implying some sort of Heckuva-Job-Brownie type cronyism in his appointment. But...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim Somehow I don't think MS is anywhere near panic mode. When you can effectively sell your product to 80% of the total available customers in your market - Why would you change your product to appease the 20% many of whom are unlikely to buy your product even if you give them what they want? Because you're not a one-trick pony. You're a two-trick pony. Windows and Office. (Maybe a three-trick pony, if you...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire I don't get it. His major qualification, for this particular job, is who his parents where. Who were his parents? I've never heard anything about them being especially rich, powerful, or connected.