or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by Sprezzatura2010

Soda Guns Trucks and SUVs Light-colored shell cordovan
Quote: Originally Posted by Artisan Fan Do you not see any influence of Reagan's tough stand against the Soviets in the mix? I am puzzled how somebody could think that. Unless you think he was more unbalanced than I do, you don't think Reagan was not going to use American forces to materially aid protesters in Eastern Europe or the USSR itself against a military crackdown any more than Eisenhower did in Berlin (1953) or Hungary (1956), or than...
Quote: Originally Posted by Artisan Fan Roy just joined Nordost this year but at the time he was the publisher/editor of UK magazine HiFi+, a respected high end journal. "Respected high end journal" is an oxymoron. Hifi+ does not make any attempts to independently verify the performance claims they breathlessly repeat for the gear they "test" (so far as I can tell from their website) and the article I skimmed read like marketing...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Even if you exclude EE, the claim is still false. The horrors visited by the Soviets and their clients in the third world just exceed by orders of magnitude the worst sins of the United States. El Salvador =/ Cambodia. Not even close. Doesn't that depend on what you mean by "Cambodia?" I take it you mean that the Khmer Rouge was a Soviet client movement, because when I think of horrors in Cambodia I...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt I'm actually enjoying this thread, and don't really know enough about the subject to weigh in, but I wanted to point out that, for me, it is a bit hard to take seriously an argument saying that if you exclude all of the areas in which the Soviets were really, really bad, then they were only equally as bad as the Americans. I just don't think it works. I see your point, but I was making two different ones....
I have no idea who Roy Gregory is. Or I didn't until I looked him up. VP of Marketing for a wire company (Nordost). I've never seen one of P.T. Barnum's "demonstrations," either.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton My question, which I will clarify, was whether any of the righties here are as far to the right as the furthest left lefties are left. Perhaps not. But the reason for that is that people like you have been very, very effective at pushing the political language of America to the right, so crazy right-wingnuts (not counting you as one, though there are others on this thread) seem less far out there than people...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton This is like reading Soviet propaganda circa 1974. You are a PhD in this, right? An actually employed academic. ?? No, I am not either of those things. Never claimed to be, either. PS: I edited my post above because I didn't feel I explained myself well.
How is my post "laughably stupid" or "poison?" Keep in mind I limited my post to the "post-colonial developing world." That does not include Eastern Europe, which was maybe developing but certainly not free from colonialism. It also does not consider the internal situation in either country, or the internal condition of their great power allies (China for the USSR up to the late 1960s). Both the US and the USSR used their "soft power" (aid, arms sales) and their "hard...
President Obama, through his whole part, though he omits the most crucial factor: Gorbi et al. lost the fervor to send the tanks rolling on civilians that his predecessors had. From a geopolitics perspective, he is more right than the other statement. Though irrelevant to the geopolitics, Lynn Cheney is right, too, up through the sentence ending with "escaping." In the developing post-colonial world, Soviets and Americans were equally perfidious.
New Posts  All Forums: