or Connect

Posts by Sprezzatura2010

Quote: Originally Posted by spreadcollar In before the lock: hand washing is your friend. And there are very few SF brands that secure buttons exremely well; Agnes B is one of them. Not sure what you mean by "SF brands" but the only shirts I have had with anything fall off have been Borrellis. (I have lost buttons and, um, sleeves, from them.) Every other shirtmaker seems to do just fine. I have never owned a BOO shirt, though. I have seen...
indeed. Stereophile classes up their obit by showing a picture of a man who died from COPD with a cigarette in his hand. http://www.stereophile.com/news/j_gordon_holt/
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria I think that the Weston loafers are up past $625 now, while I would expect the Bass Weejuns to be less than half of that. Tellingly, I think, nothing has been written that the American-made Weejuns will be made to a higher standard than the current ones. Only that they will be stamped "made in the USA." Unless the construction is much, much better than the current ones, the Westons are still a better...
A Bass Weejun at a Weston 180 price? No thank you. A new place of manufacture does not indicate better construction. See http://nymag.com/guides/everything/shoes/27345/ And those wrong-side up shell ones with the Horween stamp? I'd wear flip flops first!
Most suits people think of as "black" are actually "charcoal." That is a very different color, though it is not much less dark than true black. A truly black suit looks very odd to my eyes during the daytime. A charcoal suit looks like business. Ditto for pants.
Good thing for my bank account that shoe 2 isn't in size 44....
Quote: Originally Posted by wagthesam Can someone enlighten me on the benefits of buying a 250$ BOO shirt over a 40$ Gap shirt or 60$ Jcrew shirt? Quality-wise, if anything the BOO shirt will be worse. I don't understand why people like them. The fabrics are nothing special, the stitching shoddy, the buttons cheap, the cut unremarkable. Must have one great marketing machine behind them! One can do much better by buying a cheaper shirt and...
How is linen expensive to care for? I just wash my linen and hang dry it, then iron it. Just as I do my cotton pants and shirts. And except for the ironing part, just like my jeans.
Quote: Originally Posted by scarphe so it is against the law to have sex if you are too young in some states? for example idaho if 2 17 year old have sex they are breaking the law? Interesting dovetail between this thread and the Sotomayor one, where Matt et al. are talking about social norms codified into law, etc. The answer is, it depends. In some states, and presumably in other countries around the world, the age of consent is the Age of...
You can find pocket squares all over the place. The better department stores and men's specialty shops will carry them locally. Brooks Brothers, Paul Stuart, and J. Press all sell them online and in stores. Some discounters, such as Syms, will regularly have them.