or Connect

Posts by tokyodandy

Quote: Originally Posted by cptjeff Accuracy was never the point. They know that the real wall street dresses like crap. But they're too busy building the imagery of a cutthroat world of money and power to care. I did read it before I posted and very interesting it was too. The poster of the message to which I replied and myself I were simply striking off on a bit of a tangent from the original subject. What did surprise me about the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bull None of these pics is true to Wall Street. The guys who have $5b+ under management roll into your office looking like shit. And they can - I mean, what do they care? Two & twenty or three & fifty (which is what Stevie Cohen and few others can get) on $5b+ is a level of earning where you could give a shit what people think of your choice in clothing. This is true in my experience, but they don't look like...
Quote: Originally Posted by chrisb0109 The issue is the fundamental disagreement about whether an undershirt is appropriate for hot days. The hotter it is, the less likely I would be to wear one, and I live in a very hot and humid place. I think we all agree that people should go with what works for them and if no undershirt works for you then of course you shouldn't wear one. For many of us, the wearing of an undershirt is driven by a...
Quote: Originally Posted by A.K.A. Would you recommend wearing it with a v-neck undershirt, or without an undershirt? If it's not going to be hot and humid, then you'll be fine without an undershirt, but don't not wear an undershirt just because the shirt is linen. I wear undershirts with linen shirts. Yesterday I was out in Ginza, wearing a linen shirt but (unusually) not wearing an undershirt on what turned out to be a hot day and ended...
Quote: Originally Posted by Parker Any idea of what kind of cloth this is? Dupioni? Do any all wools come in a slub texture? I have a few pairs of trousers the cloth of which looks very like this. They are a light wool/linen blend - cooler in summer than wool alone. I suspect the cloth in the image is something similar. TD
Quote: Originally Posted by Kent Wang I'm in Shanghai, and I believe the climate is similar. I simply wear a polo and shorts in the summer, but I've been having the problem of having my boxers getting drenched, and am considering switching to briefs. With your theory re: undershirts, would it be preferable that I stick to the boxers or else I would drench my shorts instead? An unpleasant thought. Uh, not sure whether I should take this post...
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria Nevertheless, pretty much every guy I see in the summer in a coat and tie on a hot day is dressed exactly in the same clothes that he might wear in the fall and winter. Well, I can't deny that I see exactly the same thing and I have no sympathy for those who won't try to improve their own lot through changing their wardrobe to suit the climate. This summer I have been wearing mostly linen shirts with...
Quote: Originally Posted by voxsartoria I don't wear undershirts. I try to keep sufficiently fit so that a simple walk in warm weather is not a life and death struggle with nature. The things you mention will help and maybe even be in themselves sufficient for, say, a pleasant summer day in England, which I would describe as being about 25C with a gentle breeze. For most people, none of your strategems would be sufficient for hot weather,...
Quote: Originally Posted by MBreinin Yeah, really. Who wears undershirts? First of all, it is the peak of summer and the last thing I need is yet another layer. Second of all, who needs the added tucking complication of yet another layer? Thirdly, yuck. Just, yuck. If you are going to sweat out your dress shirts, maybe you need to reconsider your wardrobe entirely. It depends on your location. Here in Tokyo in the summer it frequently gets to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bull +1,000 These sad creatures will save every penny they earn to be able to finally bid-snipe that badly used Hermes Birkin bag on eBay Sounds unlikely. Birkin is really for the 35+ crowd (at least outside of the US). TD