or Connect

Posts by trader

lately i've been doing a lot of the heavy sun drenched look. too bad summer is gone =/ it's a set i built. behind the curtain is a strobe with a CTO gel on it to simulate the sun
it mostly depends on location. you need to get somewhere where light pollution from cities is minimal. i think the general guide line is 300 km from a major city center. for shots of stars you have to be aware of the planet's movement. with wider focal lengths like 17 mm on a full-frame (10mm on crop) you can shoot for about 30 seconds before you create star trails. with longer focal lengths like 200mm you're limited to only a few seconds. for this shot i used a 14mm on...
here's my first try at the milky way galaxy. gonna try it again in new zealand and stack several frames together to get some more detail. could only get one frame here (30 sec exposure) cause my gf and me were in the middle of nowhere and were surrounded by wild kangeroos and wombats (i had to dodge them on the road for 50 kms!). fun as hell windy hilly drive though IMG_1466 by table4one?, on Flickr
Szeph, what kind of monitor do you have? One thing I've learned is you can't please every monitor out there. Mines perfectly calibrated but 99% of the worlds monitors aren't but I still edit pictures for my monitor, and for print especially. But I find ipads to be fairly accurate so I would question your own monitor. I find cheaper TN panel monitors to over brighten pics. If you're using lightroom you should turn on blinkies for blacks and blow outs.
Here's a short behind the scenes video of the shoot I just did. My lowndes give away that I'm an SFer lol. http://howied.com/media/videos/8631/16651 And for anyone wondering about cost of insurance for your equipment against damages, theft, whatever, wherever - if you aren't using your camera for business then it only runs about 1 dollar per 100 worth of equipment for a year. That's under your home insurance. So 5000 worth of gear only costs about 50 a year. So please...
Me and my gf are going to australia next week for a couple weeks and I'll try to not bring out the camera too much. Though I'll probably carry a point and shoot all the time just in case. She has to be at a conference for a few days so I'll do a lot of my picture taking then. And then I'll be going to New Zealand for a week afterwards alone so that'll be my photo trip. Just getting a car and driving around the country with camera in hand. It's gonna be awesome. Too often...
1. Those lenses are weather sealed so you don't have to worry about sand too much. To complete the seal you need some kind of filter on front like you said. But I would do my absolute best to keep it away from salt water. If a drop gets into the camera or lens it's over. The HD line of Hoyas are pretty good.2. No you probably won't need an ND to shoot wide open at 2.8, unless you have a rebel which only has a max shutter speed of 4000, or shooting the sky mostly. But it...
The way I would shoot this is to use the distance scale on the lens and use manual focus. Figure out what the hyper focal distances are for certain apertures and shoot there. When it's too dark for me I'll just shoot at f/5.6 or so, put the lens focus at 2 metres, compose in the dark viewfinder and blast away with subjects within 1.5-2.5 meters away and they should all be in focus.
ya, that's a great book. i read through it a few months back. its definitely worth a reread. this time i think i'll try doing the examples cause it'll help me remember all the conceptsanyhoo, i finished up the photo shoot for the magazine and it went really well and i got some killer shots. but we didn't have much time so i felt rushed and didn't get my lighting exactly how i wanted. i felt like a lot of the shoot was just for show to please him and the manager/publicist....
thanks. ya, the whites were a problem when i wanted to shoot natural light. it was a really bright day and when the sun peeks through the trees you get a really wide dynamic range that a 35mm camera can't handle. here's a couple SOOC test shots with and without flash for illustration. the actual scene with your own eyes looks more like the flash one. but the look of her skin is nicer in the natural light. the final image i did was somewhere in between those two shots. i...