or Connect

Posts by summej2

Quote: Originally Posted by jamesbond Not Bad, The Grenson's are little more to my taste though. What sz are you a 6 or 13? 6 or 6.5 UK, G or H fitting---it limits my possibilites quite a bit. In any case, I'll agree the Grensons are a little cleaner. Curiously Flusser had a pair of the bespoke New & Lingwoods that he just sold on eBay...
New & Lingwood still offers a butterfly loafer (sadly, not in my size) http://www.newandlingwood.com/product.php?id=75# I'm not sure who is making these for them currently.
Yesterday I picked up a pair of near mint John Lobb London bespoke loafers on eBay; if only they had been for me instead of my wife. She's a more normal size than I, and the perpetual haul of YSL Rive Gauche and other quality vintage for her puts the occasional Paul Stuart or Armani I pick up to shame. In any case, I'll try to post a good photo once they arrive. When I first saw them I wasn't even aware that John Lobb made women's shoes, but they match one of the...
Sadly, the ad specifies shipping to Germany only.
I have a Valextra portfolio and the construction is fairly robust. The stitching has worn well, as has the internal zipper. That said, it doesn' have metal corners, so I can't speak to that directly. I have yet to see a fake Valextra, but given the rise in popularity of the mark, I wouldn't rule it out. Hopefully yours just suffered a bit in shipping...
Quote: I always have on my person three pairs of glasses, two checkbooks, my car key with the bulky door opener, my office keys, my home keys, a pocket knife, a coin purse, business cards and a few photos, and, yes, I do like to carry man's clutch bag--a "murse" if you want to be smarty. The one I currently have is made by Coach. I don't really know how I would function without something like that. I agree. While I am never without a clutch-type...
There are some upholstry (car and home) leathers that are full-grain and vegetable tanned. Spinneybeck is the best known (http://www.spinneybeck.com/). While it isn't the same thing that one would find even on a high-end pair of shoes, the application is quite different.
I've used Schwarz in Alexandria for a MTM in your price range but had a mixed experience. The suits are full canvas with hand sewn buttonhole, etc, and in this respect of good quality. However, the tailor (not named Schwarz---why must all DC-area tailors who are not English or Italian pretend that they are?) did not do quite the best job with fit. For other options, at that price point you could also find MTM at Burberry downtown (made by Hickey Freeman) or...
Why not try to match the clothing of any other women that are in your wedding party? In any case, I followed a similar plan for my wedding (while I was finishing my postdoc in Physics---hello fellow scientist). I had MTM suits made for myself and all the men in the wedding. The wedding was early so I stayed away from black and went with a deep charcoal/brown. Our ties were a green cashmere that matched the women's dresses and the shirts and pinstripes in the suits...