or Connect

Posts by summej2

Quote: Originally Posted by Étienne Monkstraps with a morning suit? Why not? Certainly, he "ought" to be wearing bals, but to my eye a monk can be both more or less formal than a derby. In this context, I think it works. Would it work for black-tie? No. But with a dressy DB or peak-lapel SB pinstripe, I'd say yes. Particularly if there is no brouging.
It looks similar to the MTM I had made in Japan while I lived there. The fit seems good, though the cut is somewhat unremarkable---sort of middle-of-the-road. That said, I find I'm always wearing mine... sometimes well-fitted and middle-of-the-road is exactly what's needed.
DressedToKill, I would imagine you might find the various books by Flusser, esp. Dressing the Man, of interest. Flusser shares what I take to be your appreciation for the classic era of men's wear and has a number of good idea about making that style one's own and adapting it to today's more casual standards. Fit might be a challenge on your frame, but if you find a good local tailor it will go a long way toward improving your look. I cut my teeth on vintage...
Quote: Originally Posted by jamesbond Not Bad, The Grenson's are little more to my taste though. What sz are you a 6 or 13? 6 or 6.5 UK, G or H fitting---it limits my possibilites quite a bit. In any case, I'll agree the Grensons are a little cleaner. Curiously Flusser had a pair of the bespoke New & Lingwoods that he just sold on eBay...
New & Lingwood still offers a butterfly loafer (sadly, not in my size) http://www.newandlingwood.com/product.php?id=75# I'm not sure who is making these for them currently.
Yesterday I picked up a pair of near mint John Lobb London bespoke loafers on eBay; if only they had been for me instead of my wife. She's a more normal size than I, and the perpetual haul of YSL Rive Gauche and other quality vintage for her puts the occasional Paul Stuart or Armani I pick up to shame. In any case, I'll try to post a good photo once they arrive. When I first saw them I wasn't even aware that John Lobb made women's shoes, but they match one of the...
Sadly, the ad specifies shipping to Germany only.
I have a Valextra portfolio and the construction is fairly robust. The stitching has worn well, as has the internal zipper. That said, it doesn' have metal corners, so I can't speak to that directly. I have yet to see a fake Valextra, but given the rise in popularity of the mark, I wouldn't rule it out. Hopefully yours just suffered a bit in shipping...
Quote: I always have on my person three pairs of glasses, two checkbooks, my car key with the bulky door opener, my office keys, my home keys, a pocket knife, a coin purse, business cards and a few photos, and, yes, I do like to carry man's clutch bag--a "murse" if you want to be smarty. The one I currently have is made by Coach. I don't really know how I would function without something like that. I agree. While I am never without a clutch-type...
There are some upholstry (car and home) leathers that are full-grain and vegetable tanned. Spinneybeck is the best known (http://www.spinneybeck.com/). While it isn't the same thing that one would find even on a high-end pair of shoes, the application is quite different.