or Connect

Posts by P Hudson

How do I delete this post?
Always rotated, but not always stored with trees. I have more shoes than trees, and find it easier to acquire the former than the latter here in Australia, so I tend to rotate the trees into the most recently worn pair. My impression with this pair is that the trees help more with the big waves than the moderate creases.As for their history, I bought them about 5 years ago in very good condition for $19.02 on Ebay. The soles indicated very little use. I'd say that the fit...
Hi Fred. That's a good question, which allows me to clarify things a bit more. Yes to trees. Moreover, the textures I'm wondering about are not the shell-like waves but the medium sized ones. They appear in the picture to mostly run horizontally, but in fact a closer look reveals that they are mostly horizontal in the valleys of the larger waves but mostly vertical on the peaks. The first picture shows the texture I'm talking about and the second shows the discolouration...
These AE Fultons have some ripples that developed over time but are otherwise in great shape. They are a superb shoe in terms of comfort and wet weather grip, so I plan to wear them for many more years. My question is this: how should I go about preserving the leather when it is hard to get anything into and out of the textures that are all over the front half of the shoe (minus the top-cap). My routine involves a bit of reno and some creme, but the slight loss of colour...
Thanks, Patrick. Could you briefly expand on what you mean when you say you 'just treat [yours] like calf'? To me, that would mean something like 1) wipe down with a clean cloth, 2) brush after every wear, 3) apply Reno or Saphir polish every couple weeks. Is that about it? My shell routine is a bit different, but I don't get the shine that you do (and I never even imagined the shine in PatrickB's pictures).
First of all, thank you to both you and Ron Rider for the response. Very helpful. I agree with the original comment that my shoes look pretty good. I was going to write back to that and say, "yes, but they have an almost matte finish". Then I saw your pictures. They almost make me want to give up!! I was originally comparing my Leeds to yours from a post where you said yours were only a month old. Mine are well over a year old, but haven't developed any of the character...
Hi guys. After reading thousands of entries on this thread, I can get a pretty decent shine on my calf shoes. The thing that eludes me, however, is a really good shine on my AE cordovan Leeds. I keep hoping for something like post 2036 of this thread, on p. 136. This pair of shoes is reported to be only a couple months old. Compare that to my Leeds. I've had these for over a year, and have brushed them for hundreds of hours. They haven't been worn a lot, but some...
Without meaning to get personal, I feel compelled to reply. What someone can afford is beside the point. Would that be true of all your purchases--the price goes up 10 per cent, but so what, you can afford it, so the price bump seems appropriate? At what point does that band stretch to the breaking point? Surely if someone can afford $510 shoes, he has a lot of money to spend on discretionary items, so why not say that he can afford $800 shoes. I can afford $510 shoes, and...
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.Do you have a ranger moc with a midsole, or is yours the more standard issue? I'm assuming that the midsole adds a lot to the support and comfort for walking, but maybe that isn't so.One drawback of ordering from Australia is that shipping cost iirc $28. Another is that it precludes using their sizing program. I'm always confident when buying Allen Edmonds in 9, and my camp-mocs are 9, so I'm hoping that a 9 ranger-moc will work. I'm a...
I think i've read the whole thread at least once, so I can to some degree anticipate the answer. I'm trying to find a shoe to fit the following scenario, which my CXL camp mocs doesn't quite do. I would like a shoe suitable for a fair bit of walking, and comfort for a lot of standing (I lecture, so stand in one place for long stretches). I'm leaning toward the ranger moc, and think that the chili latigo model on the website might be the way to go, but I have these...