or Connect

Posts by jbc217

This is a tangent to the thread I posted earlier regarding Chicago sales, in which I mentioned the lecture I received from Neiman Marcus staff about why they only accept AMEX and Diner's Club. I certainly don't endorse their practice, but here's how it was explained to me: In short, I was told it is part of their commitment to "superior customer service." "How," I asked, "is it 'customer service' when you make me walk across the street to withdraw cash to pay for clothes...
Since I always gain much from you all by lurking but seem rarely have much to offer in return, I thought I'd offer what little I have: an update on the sales at Chicago's mag mile stores, from which I just returned. Neiman Marcus: Pre-Sale ended yesterday and now the 50% off on top of already reduced prices is officically in effect.  Some of the deals I spotted: Armani ties for $35, Prada ties for $45, a few Borelli shirts for around $200, quite a few "Brioni for NM"...
OK, I might be totally alone on this one, but on more than one occasion now, I have mispronounced the name of a high-end desginer and had to suffer the embarrassment of a correction. Examples: Kiton: I said "KITE-un" but was told it is "key-TONE" Hermes: Silly anglicizer that I am, I said "her-meez" but apparently it's "air-mez" Anyone else have an anecdote to share to spare me/us the embarrassment of such faux-pas? Here are a few I've been hesitating to say...
My wife and I are being put up in a very fancy Chicago hotel this weekend, and for our dinner appointment, the hotel's house car (a Mercedes sedan) will be dropping us off and picking us up.  Moving in this world is a pretty new experience for me, and I'm not sure how much, if anything, to tip the driver of the sedan.  The hotel calls the service "complimentary," and I don't want to offend the driver if tips are gauche in this case.  On the other hand, if they're not,...
Hi All, Would anyone happen to know when the shops on Mich. Ave. will be offering their deep/final discounts? When I was in Chicago last, I overheard a customer asking a salesperson when it would be, but the salesperson seemed to be feigning ignorance. I live a few hours away and so can't check the stores regularly for the status of the sales. Any info would be appreciated, as I have heard of some amazing bargains during last call, and will be planning a special...
Hi All, I imagine since no one has mentioned them yet, I might already have an answer to this question, but: what are your thoughts on quality/style of Tag Heuer?   I have been seriously considering the Kirium F1 (numberless black face with "hidden" digital features).  I think it's a sharp if somehwhat heavy-looking sport watch.  I am (dare I say it) attracted to the hidden digital gimmick: I have some sort of biological inability to tell analog time accurately and...
Guys, Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the excellent and timely advice.  A quick follow-up: On a whim, my fiancee and I went downtown (Chicago) to look for wedding bands today and while there, I stopped by the various Mich. Ave. stores to check for winter bargains: I ended up buying a sharp, 3-button Corneliani tux at Saks that had been reduced to $400(.)   It's not the black suit I thought I'd be wearing for the big day--but better than anything I had...
Really, I spent a half an hour trying to find the answer before bothering you all, but...What does "NTW" mean in the suit descriptions you find on line (at eBay e.g.)?
Hello, I am new to the forum and to suit-buying in general--I bought my first and only suit this past summer (a fine-looking but perhaps average quality Hugo Boss 3-button) and only wish I knew then what I have learned from you all after spending (too many.) hours on this forum today. To the point: I am getting married in May and am looking for an alternative to the traditional tuxedo.  Though I have never purchased anything on eBay, I was considering this black Armani...