or Connect

Posts by joelmccrea

I agree with much of the above. In addition, I'd emphasize: - Fit. The best place to start is with buttoned/dress shirts, since you can easily introduce them into even a casual wardrobe to sharpen it up a bit. If they don't fit to a T off the rack (they rarely do), get them altered at a tailor. Or go custom: nothing fits me well off the rack, so the shirts at mytailor.com changed my life. This forum has plenty of thread on them and other online tailors. - Shoes. Spend...
Not sure this is what's going on here, but frequently makers will size for an idealized measure of the natural waist even though the trouser style is worn lower down on the waist, even on the hips.
Sounds like you've decided, but try it on before committing. Just because a cut fits on a model doesn't mean it will work for you. Personally I'm not crazy about the peak lapel on the gray suit, but it's the 3-piece vest that makes it seem particularly out of place for cockail attire. Make sure it looks OK as a 2 piece. This forum is not the best place for budget recommendations. It does sound like you're looking for the basics: - You don't want a patterned shirt. In...
If it's for this weekend, that doesn't give you a lot of time for shopping. Do you already have any dress clothes? It sounds like a basic upgrade for you would be a dress shirt, trousers, and nice shoes. Maybe a light cotton sweater if the weather is cool at night. I wouldn't worry about "men's fashion" so much as getting basics that are of decent quality (for whatever price point you can manage). Good shoes are expensive (>$250) but will do more than anything else to...
I'm in a similar boat as the OP. One thing I've noticed is that in my field and to some extent my department one can get away with dressing up some as long as the result does not looks remotely appropriate for the business world. Dandyish works well, and tweedy works OK.
That author's "10 Wardrobe Staples Every Man Should Have" article is frustratingly bad. http://blogs.forbes.com/bluecarreon/2011/06/28/ten-wardrobe-staples-every-man-should-have/
Great thread. I'm a junior academic here (humanities prof), and I can second some of what's been said here and in the CHE article. On one hand, things are more lenient for academics than for professionals in about every other field since dress "rules" are laxer and not heavily enforced. On the other hand, the lack of even an informal clear dress code means that clothing choices can be more fraught, especially for high-impact moments of professionalization like a job...
+1 on the flat-front. A little Color Me Beautiful: Another reason to go with a white shirt is that the blue in the pic doesn't compliment your skin tones, in fact it dulls them. It could be the camera or flash, but it's something to consider. Dark (not black) trousers and white shirt would make the appearance pop for someone with your complexion. For the rest of you all - would a suit be appropriate for a non-finance entry level interview? Tech seems to have a...
I always liked Fudge hair shaper (http://www.fudge.com/), before I foresook it for a less sculpted look. Their products can be hard to find, but I think it's preferable to Crew: better hold, matte dry, less greasy and waxy than some brands.
+1 to chas. To me these glasses scream 20-something gay guy wanting to seem like he's a Miami South Beacher when in fact he lives in a miserably cold Northern city. The fatal flaw is the big G logo on the hinge. Other than that, they'd work well on some guys. But more importantly, I'd never buy sunglasses without trying them on first. They might look great in a photo or in a display but not complement the shape of your face.